WUSC believes in the power of volunteers, with a particular focus on youth, to shape the world around them. We know that people want to help reduce global poverty and, with the proper tools, they can make a difference in their communities that affects change around the world.
WUSC’s Uniterra program provides tangible opportunities for Canadians to learn about global issues and get involved:
- fostering global citizenship and leadership skills among students on Canadian campuses;
- increasing gender awareness through Her Challenge, Your Challenge and Shine A Light campaigns;
- supporting equality through Her Challenge, Your Challenge which encourages recognition and respect for women’s rights around the world as well as participation and empowerment of women with a view to building more egalitarian societies;
- supporting equality through Shine A Light which provides opportunities for girls in refugee camps in Kenya to build their self-confidence, knowledge and skills;
- supporting ethical purchasing through Buy into Change which promotes ethical purchasing and social change through Fair trade and buying with a social conscience;
- supporting AIDS prevention in Africa through Bike for AIDS which contributes to the fight against HIV and AIDS in Malawi.