Since the first World AIDS Day on December 1st 1988, there have been many achievements made in the field of HIV and AIDS, but much work still needs to be done. There are approximately 33.4 million people living with HIV with sub-Saharan Africa accounting for 67 per cent of HIV infections worldwide, according to the UNAIDS 2009 AIDS epidemic update. AIDS is also the number one cause of death throughout the region.
You can help eradicate HIV and AIDS in our lifetime. Through WUSC and the Uniterra program, there are many ways you can raise awareness and make an impact on campus and in your community.
- Tell people World AIDS Day is December 1st!
- Get the wheels in motion and help save a life with the Bike for AIDs campaign. Bike for AIDs raises funds that allow our partners to purchase bicycles and bicycle-ambulances locally and distribute them to health care workers who treat patients with HIV and AIDS in the rural parts of Malawi. $200 buys a bicycle; $500 buys a bicycle ambulance. Find out more information about the campaign, or to donate.
- Raise awareness about the specific impacts of HIV and AIDS on women and girls by posting on the Her Challenge, Your Challenge Facebook page
- The Her Challenge, Your Challenge campaign aims to encourage recognition and respect for women’s rights around the world as well as participation and empowerment of women with a view to building more egalitarian societies. View and share the videos on the site, or make your own and upload it to the campaign site!
- Make a long-term impact in the field and become an overseas volunteer.
Part of a WUSC Local Committee?
- Organize days of action around World Car Free Day (September 22) or World AIDS Day (December 1)
- Plan a Bike-A-Thon, Wax for AIDS, a Trike for AIDS or other related event
- Invite past Uniterra volunteers to present on HIV and AIDS in Africa.
- Partner with on or off campus Bike Centre
- Organize an event around Critical Mass (last Friday of every month in most major cities)
- Fundraising Targets:
- $200 buys a bicycle
- $500 buys a bicycle ambulance
Did you volunteer overseas with the Uniterra program?
- Ask your new friends, colleagues, and acquaintances if they knew you volunteered overseas to support HIV and AIDS organization
- Think about someone you knew during your placement who inspired you with their contributions to fighting HIV and AIDS and share their story.
- Offer to give a short talk at your workplace, to your community group, religious group, social justice groups or other. Uniterra can provide materials and financial support for your events, just contact us or send a completed Request for Support form, available online.