On World AIDS Day, people around the globe unite and honour the lives of those who have passed away from this epidemic. December 1st is a day to stand in solidarity with those living with HIV and AIDS and to raise awareness about treatment and more importantly, prevention. Make a difference this World AIDS Day! Support WUSC and the Uniterra program to help eradicate HIV and AIDS in our lifetime.
Support Bike for AIDS
Get the wheels in motion and support Bike for AIDS in Malawi! Bike for AIDS raises funds that allow our partners to purchase bicycles and bicycle-ambulances locally and distribute them to health care workers who treat patients with HIV and AIDS in the rural parts of Malawi.
- DONATE to Bike for AIDS - $200 buys a bicycle; $500 buys a bicycle ambulance.
- FUNDRAISE on your campus or in your community. Host an indoor bike-a-thon, bake sale or movie night! Learn more here: http://www.uniterra.ca/take-action/all-campaigns/bike-for-aids/
- SPREAD THE WORD through Facebook and Twitter and tell your friends and family about Bike for AIDS and how they can help #WorldAIDSDay #Bike4AIDS
Support Local Committees
Local Committees around Canada are creating an impact on the lives of those living with HIV and AIDS in Malawi. Last year students raised nearly $ 5500 through the Uniterra Bike for AIDS campaign. This year is no exception as they join their efforts of those worldwide by organizing special fundraisers like Bike-a thons, Zumba for AIDS Nights, awareness and education campaigns and more.
To participate in events near you:
Zumba for AIDS (Trent University)
WUSC Queen's ANNUAL BIKE FOR AIDS
Bike for AIDS (Glendon College)
UNBC WUSC Bike for Aids
Support Canadian Uniterra volunteers
Did you know that hundreds of Canadians work alongside local partners to combat HIV and AIDS in communities across Africa? Prevention, education and access to treatment are the three areas of focus for Uniterra volunteers. Learn more about their tireless efforts: http://www.uniterra.ca/countries-and-issues/issues/health-and-aids/
Are you a former Uniterra volunteer who worked in the HIV and AIDS sector? Here’s how you can help!
- On December 1st post a message on Facebook or share your blog. Let others know about how the placement changed your life and the important work of the local partner organizations.
- Think about people you knew during your placement who inspired you with their contributions to fighting HIV and AIDS and share their story.
- Brown Bag lunch: Offer to give a short talk at your workplace, to your community group, religious group, social justice groups or other. Uniterra can provide materials and financial support for your events, just contact us.
About World AIDS Day
World AIDS Day is celebrated around the world on December 1st each year. It has become one of the most recognized international health days and a key opportunity to raise awareness, commemorate those who have passed on, and celebrate victories, such as increased access to treatment and prevention services. http://www.un.org/en/events/aidsday/