|POSITION TITLE||Administrative Assistant|
|POSITION LOCATION||Dominica, Guyana & Jamaica (3 positions)|
|REPORTS TO||Country Coordinator|
|CONTRACT TERM||Two years (full time position)|
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO), the MasterCard Foundation, World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank. WUSC is registered in the Caribbean as WUSC Caribbean.
WUSC Caribbean is implementing a five-year project – the Sustainable Agriculture in the Caribbean (SAC) project, which will promote climate resilient agriculture for equitable economic growth to increase the economic prosperity of women and youth (female & male) in more sustainable agricultural markets in the Caribbean. The project builds on learning from the Promotion of Regional Opportunities for Produce through Enterprises and Linkages (PROPEL) project and is a multi-country economic growth project, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) being implemented in Dominica, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, and Suriname.
Women and youth (female & male) will be central players in the targeted agricultural market systems so they can increase their influence on agricultural markets in the Caribbean, while strengthening more climate resilient domestic agricultural production to enhance food security, and reduce reliance on imported agricultural products, for more sustainable economic growth. Recognizing that adult males are currently dominant actors in market systems, the SAC project will also work with men, so they can become advocates for women and youth (female & male) fostering the right conditions for equitable participation. The SAC project will engage agricultural markets in each of the target countries, and provide capacity-strengthening support to local organizations.
WUSC Caribbean will apply an inclusive market systems (IMS) approach, engaging multiple stakeholders, including established country partners, to increase productivity and economic growth. SAC will create links between key market actors; strengthen their capacity through training, information sharing and outreach; and foster climate resilient approaches (re-orienting agricultural development for sustainability as well as profitability), at every stage and via every market actor in the agricultural value chain. This approach will help to increase productivity and profitability in the agriculture sector and will mitigate the impacts of climate change, reduce the region’s vulnerability to natural disasters, and foster climate-resilient agricultural markets that offer increased equitable, inclusive and sustainable economic benefits for women and youth (female & male).
Reporting to the Country Coordinator, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for coordinating office operations and procedures and ensuring overall efficiency and effectiveness and of the office. This includes ensuring established systems are adhered to e.g. internal communications and record keeping, and ensuring they are maintained and function at a high level.
Main Responsibilities Include:
- Support the operations of WUSC Caribbean’s office, including coordinating procurement of goods and services (overseas and domestic)
- Answering calls and receiving visitors, directing these to the relevant staff
- Support the implementation of office policies, systems and procedures and offer suggestions for improvements
- Design filing systems and assist office staff in maintaining up to date files and databases
- Ensure personnel files are up to date, secure and kept confidentially
- Support the preparation of reports, presentations, memorandums, proposals and correspondence, as required
- Support the entry and quality assurance of project M&E data
- Schedule appointments and meetings for senior staff, visiting personnel and consultants
- Facilitate organization of project-related meetings, training and consultations
- Documenting minutes of meetings as necessary
- Maintaining a current list of staff and stakeholder contacts
- Coordinate travel arrangements for project staff and consultants
- Where the office has a project vehicle, coordinating the functions of the driver as well as the use and maintenance of a log book for the project vehicle
- Serve as the ‘go-to’ for office inquiries
- Manage staff schedules, as required
- Monitor office systems and operations including coordinating the necessary equipment maintenance and servicing where required
- Track office supply inventory and approve supply requisitions
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and expenses
- Support orientation of new staff and volunteers as necessary
- Liaise with other agencies, organizations and groups as required; and
- Other duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Minimum qualification of Professional Secretarial Designation (APS, CAP), or Diploma in Office Administration; or the equivalent
Experience & Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a similar position.
- Proven knowledge of office administration.
- Detail oriented and able to work with a high degree of accuracy in preparing and entering information.
- Highly organized and flexible; able to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to multi-task and meet changing deadlines.
- Self-directed and able to complete projects with limited supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills.
- Developed analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Able to maintain confidentiality in handling personnel matters; honest and trustworthy with strong work ethic.
- Highly proficient in use of Microsoft and Google software including Gmail, calendar, drive, spreadsheet, word processing and presentation software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Adaptable and flexible, with the capacity to find innovative ways to manage issues and challenges;
- High tolerance for uncertainty
- Negotiations skills
- Complete fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
- Fluency in creole will be an asset for Dominica
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC Caribbean offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC Caribbean work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
WUSC Caribbean’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC Caribbean promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC Caribbean is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is open to all suitably qualified CARICOM Nationals. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Suitably qualified persons are invited to submit their cover letter, CV, and the name and contact information of 3 professional references via email to [email protected]. Please use the subject line Administrative Assistant (kindly indicate the country which you are applying for) for job applications.
While WUSC Caribbean thanks all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Sustainable Agriculture in the Caribbean Project is implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC) with funding support from the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!