Administrative Officer, Volunteer Mobilization
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Manager, Volunteer Mobilization
PRO 1 ($47800 to $56400)
Bilingual English/French (fluency essential)
June 20, 2021
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of governments, civil society organizations, schools, training institutions, private sector partners, and volunteers who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada (GAC), the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC’s Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in developing countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people, especially young women and refugees. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, enterprises, women’s organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners for various durations of time. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Under the supervision of the Manager Volunteer Mobilization, the Administrative Officer, Volunteer Mobilization, will be responsible for all administrative requirements for departing, on assignment and returning volunteers, and to provide support in organizing in-person volunteer training sessions in Ottawa.
More specifically, the Administrative Officer, is responsible for:
Volunteer Contract Documentation:
- Draft contracts and amendments to contracts; obtain all necessary signatures;
- Ensure all necessary documentation is completed, signed and updated in the volunteer’s personnel file and in Salesforce.
Volunteer Logistics and Administration:
- Ensure pre-departure administrative and logistical preparations for Canadian volunteers and international seminar participants, including organizing travel (i.e. tickets, entry visas), insurance enrollment and all other volunteer administrative requirements;
- Support the contract and insurance administrative preparations for Southern volunteers;
- Submit and maintain the monthly requests for monthly allowances for volunteers and collaborate with the Finance Team to ensure timely payments;
- Process volunteers’ reimbursements for eligible expenses;
- Contribute to the tracking, follow-up and reporting on volunteer timesheets;
- Ensure all necessary documentation is completed, signed and updated in the volunteer’s personnel file and in Salesforce;
In-person Pre-departure Training and Debriefing Workshops Logistics:
- Organize the logistics for in-person volunteer pre-departure training sessions, as well as the debriefing workshops (travel arrangements, accommodation, meals, etc);
- Participate in the volunteer training sessions to provide information and answer questions regarding volunteer contracts and logistics for international travel.
Other related duties:
- Contribute to the development, implementation and review of team systems, processes, templates, documentation and tools;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date data and documentation in the volunteer files and in Salesforce;
- Process office supply orders and maintain inventory for the volunteer cooperation program team;
- Distribute and send correspondence to country offices (courier);
- As required, provide translation support and/or review of translated documentation support to ensure accuracy of translations.
Qualifications & Competencies
Education: College diploma in business administration or other relevant discipline.
Experience & Competencies:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in administrative support;
- Experience in coordinating logistics and drafting texts;
- Experience in office management;
- Knowledge of information technologies and databases;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, team player, strong intercultural communication;
- Available to work the occasional weekend;
- Experience in international cooperation is an asset;
- Enthusiastic, committed to learning, and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Share in WUSC’s commitment and approach to advance gender equality and social inclusion for all young people.
- Ability to contribute to WUSC’s organizational culture that respects differences, including sex, age, ability, refugee or migration status, race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and other identity factors.
Languages: Bilingual English/French (fluency essential).
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility, and we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is in centrally located Hintonburg in Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely. WUSC offers flexible working arrangements, competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2021.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!