Position Title: Administrative Officer
Position Location: Colombo & Jaffna
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
Contract Term: 1 Year, Renewable
Application Deadline: April 30, 2023
Expected Start Date June 1st, 2023
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Growth, Resilience, Investment and Training (GRIT) – Building a Gender-Responsive Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Sri Lanka’s North is a 7-year collaborative initiative (2022-2029) that will build sustainable pathways to enhanced economic empowerment, well-being and inclusive growth in Sri Lanka (SL), especially for young women in the North of the country.
This proposed project will test innovative, sustainable models to improve the enabling environment and reduce gender-specific barriers to increase equitable and sustainable growth of start-up, early-stage, and growth-stage enterprises, especially those owned by, operated by, or serving women in the North of SL.
Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for women and their communities.
Under the supervision of the Project Director and Project Coordinator, this position would be responsible for coordinating day-to-day and planned activities of the project team. Using independent judgement, determines what information requires immediate attention of the Project Director or the Project Coordinator, or refers matters to various staff or departments. Maintains records related to office activities pertaining to purchasing, travel, safety, security and related activities. Prepares correspondence and documentation in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Organize missions, workshops, conferences, training and meetings or related activities as directed by the leadership team. Promotes positive public relations by attending professional and community meetings as requested by the Project Director.
Support the operations Country Office in Colombo and as needed the Satellite office in Jaffna to include the following but not limited to:
- Provision of administrative services, such as document production and binding, translation and interpretation services;
- Logistical services such as arranging vehicle rental, travel arrangements, event and mission planning and management, etc;
- Procurement services for goods and services, including but not limited to procurement of Technical Specialists through local and international competitive and non-competitive processes;
- Ensuring proper maintenance of the record keeping and filing system of the project;
- Coordinating project activities with other stakeholders;
- Providing advice on coordinating permanent accommodation, utilities, security, visas, permits and other official documents;
- If required, facilitating or advising on local government documentation requirements, visa and work permit processes and other related services such as arranging for security, utilities, clearance of shipments, vehicle registration and accommodation;
- Assist with developing procurement plans and operational documents;
- Day-to-day project correspondence, information sharing and filing ensuring that appropriate follow-up actions are taken;
- Answering calls and receiving visitors;
- Support the implementation of office policies, systems and procedures, in line with WUSC policies, and offer suggestions for improvements;
- Support orientation of new staff, volunteers and Technical Specialists as necessary;
- Support the preparation of reports, presentations, memorandums, proposals and correspondence, as required;
- Facilitate organization of project-related meetings, training and consultations;
- Maintaining a current list of staff and stakeholder contacts;
- Coordinate the functions of the driver as well as the use and maintenance of a log book for the project vehicle;
- Serve as the ‘go-to’ for office inquiries;
- Monitor office systems and operations including coordinating the necessary equipment maintenance and servicing where required;
- Track office supply inventory and recommend supply requisitions;
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and expenses under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Manager;
- Any other additional duties and tasks as requested by the Project Coordinator or project Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum qualification of undergraduate degree in Office Administration, Business Administration; or the equivalent;
- Minimum of 3 years of administrative assistance work experience
- Knowledge and/or experience in Human Resource Management would be an asset
- Proven knowledge of office administration, especially record keeping and data management
- Knowledge and experience in preparing budgets and handling expenses;
- Experience in procurement and providing logistical support
- Works with attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information;
- Works with a high degree of accuracy in preparing and entering information;
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances, with the capacity to find innovative ways to manage issues and challenges;
- Manages time productively and efficiently and meet changing deadlines;
- Self-directed and able to complete projects with limited supervision;
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills;
- Developed analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills;
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment; honest and trustworthy;
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and Google software including Gmail, calendar, drive, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Language proficiency in Tamil, while not required, would be an asset
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility, and we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply through this form before the deadline.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!