Research Consultant – Accelerating Women Climate Entrepreneurs (Uganda)
Position Title: Research Consultant – Accelerating Women Climate Entrepreneurs Initiative (Uganda)
Position Location: Uganda
Reports to: Livelihoods and Economic Opportunities (LEO) Advisor
Contract term: May 2021 – December 2021
Number of days: 23 days
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a Canadian non-profit organization with a mission to build a better world for all young people. Our vision is a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable world for youth. It is a world in which all young people, especially women and refugees, are empowered to secure a good quality of life for themselves, their families, and their communities. We work towards this mission by delivering programs that enhance education, economic opportunities, and empowerment for youth. We work with a diverse network of students, volunteers, institutions, governments, and businesses to realize our vision.
WUSC is launching a new program – “Accelerating Women Climate Entrepreneurs” – funded by Global Affairs Canada, focused on addressing barriers and opportunities for women entrepreneurs to start and grow climate-related businesses in Sub-Saharan Africa. This two-year initiative – led by Aga Khan Foundation Canada in consortium with WUSC and the Aspen Network for Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) – will involve consultations with women entrepreneurs, policymakers, intermediaries (e.g., incubators, accelerators) and investors across three target regions, including East, West and Southern Africa. These consultations will be used to generate an evidence base, and learnings to inform pilot incubation initiatives in selected Sub-Saharan African countries.
Scope of work
WUSC is seeking a Research Consultant to undertake location specific and gender sensitive consultations and research grounded in interactions with women entrepreneurs, entrepreneurship intermediaries and stakeholders.
The research consultant will be expected to work closely with the Livelihoods and Economic Opportunities (LEO) Advisor based in Nairobi and the project Lead Researcher based remotely. Activities will be both desk-based, virtual and in person as possible given COVID-19 protocols.
Specifically, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Support the development of a database of entrepreneurship intermediaries in Uganda;
- Support the development, under the guidance of the Lead Researcher, and delivery of a virtual workshop for entrepreneurship intermediaries on assessing gender and market-system barriers and opportunities faced by climate-focused women entrepreneurs;
- Develop database of relevant climate -focused women entrepreneurs;
- Undertake consultations with Uganda-based climate-focused women entrepreneurs to understand the gender and market system barriers and opportunities they face in their businesses;
- Support the Lead Researcher in the management and analysis of research data from Uganda as relevant;
- Perform secondary research as relevant;
- Support the development, validation and dissemination of learning products as relevant;
- Provide support to emerging economic intermediaries (particularly small and/or women led) to access targeted funding/grants.
Level of Effort
The following is an estimate of the level of effort and key milestones for the project:
|Support the development of a database of entrepreneurship intermediaries in Uganda||April 2021||1 day|
|Support the development and delivery of a virtual workshop for entrepreneurship intermediaries on assessing gender and market-system barriers and opportunities faced by climate-focused women entrepreneurs||April-June 2021||5 days|
|Undertake consultations with Uganda-based climate-focused women entrepreneurs, and other relevant key stakeholders, to understand the gender and market system barriers and opportunities they face in their businesses||July-August 2021||5 days|
|Support the Lead Researcher in the management and analysis of research data from Uganda as relevant||May-September 2021||3 days|
|Support the development, validation and dissemination of learning products as relevant||August-September 2021||5 days|
|Provide support to emerging economic intermediaries (particularly small and/or women led) to access targeted funding.||October 2021-December 2021||4 days|
- Input to database of intermediaries;
- Database of relevant climate-related Women Entrepreneurs;
- Interviews and focus group discussion data;
- Secondary research summaries;
- Other as relevant.
Qualifications of the consultant:
- Degree in a field related to social sciences, development, development economics, business, gender equality or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated primary and secondary research experience;
- Demonstrated facilitation experience, including leading key informant interviews and focus group discussions;
- Demonstrated experience in implementing gender sensitive research methods and use of qualitative and participatory approaches;
- Demonstrated experience working with start-ups, small and growing businesses or business intermediaries;
- Demonstrated experience gathering and managing research data;
- Excellent communication and written English skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to produce clear and concise documents.
Interested candidates should apply to WUSC by April 30, 2021. Candidates should send a CV and a one-pager cover letter.
Remuneration will be based on experience and qualifications. Daily rate is expected to be around $400 CAN.
Applications should be sent to [email protected], with the subject line “Research Consultant – Accelerating Women Climate Entrepreneurs Initiative, Uganda.” WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives, consultants and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Any COVID-19 safety measures in force must be strictly adhered to.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!