POSITION TITLE: Communications Officer
POSITION LOCATION: Remote (Canada)
REPORTS TO: Manager, Strategic Communications
CONTRACT TERM: Indeterminate
SALARY LEVEL: PRO1 (50K – 56K)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 10, 2023
EXPECTED START DATE: September/October 2023
LANGUAGES: Bilingual English / French
Are you a strong writer, a self-starter, bilingual and passionate about global development? WUSC is currently looking for a Communications Officer to support the development and implementation of our corporate publishing calendar that amplifies the WUSC brand and contributes toward our organizational strategic goals.
WUSC is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
We are seeking a strong writer and storyteller, passionate about global development to join the communications team as our new Communications Officer. Under the supervision of the Manager of Strategic Communications, the Communications Officer will support the development and implementation of an annual corporate publishing calendar that amplifies the WUSC brand and contributes toward our organizational strategic goals.
Under the supervision of the Manager, Strategic Communications, the Communications Officer will be responsible for:
- Transform complex data and information into engaging and relatable stories that resonate with diverse audiences.
- Write compelling high quality content for a variety of channels (annual report, website, blog, email, social media and multimedia) that tells the story of our work and showcases our results
- Provide quality control for communications products that are published on WUSC’s corporate communications channels
- Monitor project and country communications platforms and products to ensure they accurately represent WUSC (verbally and visually) and contribute to the better positioning of WUSC as a leader in our field, globally, identifying stories of change that would be of interest to Canadian audiences.
- Monitor WUSC brand in traditional media and social media and identify opportunities for visibility, positioning, knowledge-sharing and policy influence
- Analyze communication performance metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of various communication strategies.
Community of Practice
- Lead the communications community of practice (composed of WUSC staff and volunteers in Canada and overseas), creating resources and workshops to help build team capacity to craft compelling communications products.
- Act as a liaison between the communications and programs team and convene monthly meetings to identify opportunities for collaboration, amplification and the sharing of best practices among community members.
- Support the planning and promotion of events
- Attend and cover in-person and digital events on corporate channels
- Prepare and submit financial requisitions
- Schedule blogs and social media content and manage accounts
- Other responsibilities as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Digital Media, or International Development or a related field (or equivalent experience).
Experience & Competencies
- At least 2 years of professional experience in communications role
- Experience working for a non-profit and/or in international development preferred
- Passion for global development and demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of WUSC
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French, and a demonstrated capacity to transform complex information into engaging and relatable stories that resonate with diverse audiences.
- Strong relationship-builder with experience providing guidance and coaching to colleagues
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Google Suite) essential
- Knowledge of wordpress, google analytics and CoSchedule an asset.
- Experience hosting events on Zoom
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- A self-starter with the ability to multitask
- Must be motivated, creative, hardworking, optimistic, and a team player
- Must be available for occasional weekend and evening work. Time in lieu will be provided
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Occasional travel to attend in-person events and team retreats
- Bilingual in English and French essential
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and rewarding. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
Here’s some of what you can expect working with us in Canada:
- 35-hour workweek, ability to work flexible hours
- Remote-friendly workplace, with free access to our Ottawa office
- 4 weeks annual leave, plus the week between Christmas and New Year
- Paid sick days (10) and special leave days (5)
- Extensive health and dental coverage for you and your dependents, 100% covered by us
- Group RRSP contributions, from day 1
- 300$ reimbursement for home office equipment
- Parental leave top-up
- Being part of a friendly, caring and enthusiastic team!
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!