Consultancies – Communications, Leadership, Career Counselling
Position Title: Consultancies – Communications, Leadership, Career Counselling
Position Location: Remote (with potential travel to Nairobi)
Reports to: WUSC DREEM Senior Project Manager
Contract term: March 15 – August 31, 2023
Number of days: Approximately 20 days each (with potential for extension)
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) – is a leading Canadian non-profit organization in international development, committed to providing education, economic opportunities and empowerment opportunities that improve the lives of millions of disadvantaged youth around the world.
Displaced and Refugee youth Enabling Environment Mechanism (DREEM) project
WUSC, through the DREEM project, plays a unique role as a technical assistance and strategic learning partner to the Mastercard Foundation and its partners. The DREEM project, a 5-year initiative, contributes to the Foundation’s commitment to meaningfully include refugee and displaced youth in their Scholars Program and Young Africa Works initiatives.
Through DREEM, WUSC will contribute to the Mastercard Foundation’s thinking and strategy development for its new refugee and displaced youth strategy and in creating a network of transformative leaders – inclusive of refugees and displaced youth, especially women – driving equitable socio-economic transformation in Africa.
There are three key pillars to the Displaced and Refugee youth Enabling Environment Mechanism (DREEM) program:
- Support Scholars Program (SP) partners and staff with the knowledge, capacity and networks to meaningfully recruit and serve refugees and displaced youth in higher education and transition to work and to work towards more inclusive societies;
- Support Young Africa Works (YAW) country partners and staff in Kenya to gain the knowledge, capacity and networks to meaningfully include and develop programming that meets the unique training and employment needs, opportunities and aspirations of refugee and displaced youth, especially young women;
- Strengthening Economic Opportunities for Refugees (SEOR) will complement WUSC’s existing Learning through Education and Access to Employment Pathways (LEAP) program and provide refugee entrepreneurs, especially young women (who will comprise 70% of beneficiaries), with improved access to market-oriented business support services that improve business and employment outcomes in Kenya.
Cutting across these pillars is a governance mechanism called the Youth Advisory Committee, which is composed of individuals with lived experiences was formed to advise and provide guidance to WUSC, Mastercard Foundation, their stakeholders, and program partners in order to meet the Foundation’s objectives and ensure that DREEM activities are designed and delivered to meet the needs of refugees and displaced young people. Committee members serve at least a two year term and contribute their time, expertise and perspectives to DREEM; in turn, WUSC provides members with benefits such as learning, travel and networking opportunities.
Scope of the Assignment:
As part of our efforts to offer professional development and skills training opportunities to our Youth Advisory Committee for their ongoing contributions to DREEM, WUSC is seeking consultants to provide group and individual training and coaching to the members in the following areas (which have been identified by the YAC members themselves):
- Communications and advocacy: storytelling, public speaking, written and visual communications, and presentation skills;
- Leadership: relationship building, negotiation, decision making, and critical thinking; and
- Career counselling: job searching and CV development
The Consultants are expected to have:
- Demonstrated previous experience in content development, training delivery and coaching in any of the areas identified above;
- Excellent written English skills, particularly developing content that is concise and engaging;
- Experience in East Africa is desirable;
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges that young refugees face in accessing employment and educational opportunities;
- Lived experience with displacement is considered an asset.
Interested candidates should apply here by March 3, 2023. Candidates should submit a CV, 2 samples of relevant previous work, and a cover letter which details: 1) why they are an ideal candidate (qualifications and experience); 2) how they would approach the assignment; and 3) their daily rate.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!