Position Title: Country Coordinator (Part Time)
Position Location: Dominica
Reports to: FSSP Satellite Office Manager – Barbados
Contract Term: 1 Year, Renewable (50 days per year)
Application Deadline: November 17, 2022
Expected Start Date December 1, 2022
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO), the MasterCard Foundation, World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
THE FIELD SUPPORT SERVICES (FSSP) PROJECT:
WUSC recently signed a contract for the management and implementation of the Field Support Services Project (FSSP) in the Caribbean, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). To ensure the quality and relevance of Canada’s support in responding to the Caribbean’s development challenges, the Caribbean Regional Development Program (CRDP) requires access to technical expertise with local knowledge and experience, sector studies and strategies, program-level monitoring, and support to aid effectiveness activities. To meet these needs, GAC has designed FSSP to provide the required technical, administrative, procurement, financial and logistical support services.
SCOPE OF WORK:
Based in Dominica and reporting to the FSSP Satellite Office Manager in Barbados, the part time Country Coordinator is tasked with the overall tracking of Canadian engagement in their country of responsibility, and for maintaining awareness of and reporting on the development context of the country. Specifically, the tasks of the Country Coordinator include but not limited to the following:
- Provide monthly and ad hoc summary reports of ongoing development activities locally, including those of government and non-governmental agencies, as well as institutional cooperation activities;
- Acquire and maintain current country specific data on business/economic/development trends and initiatives in support of identifying potential GAC involvement;
- Identify suitable partner and client organizations/businesses in-country;
- Liaise, maintain dialogue, and develop linkages, and follow up on ongoing and new/future programming in GAC’s Action Areas in Dominica of other International Development Partners;
- Develop and maintain networks of key stakeholders (government, civil society, other donors, private sector);
- Providing support for project monitoring or other related events;
- Providing analyses on political, economic, and security developments in country pertaining to the development agenda and advising the Technical Authority on actions that could be undertaken in order to take advantage of rising opportunities aligned with GAC’s development and Action Areas;
- Upon request, attend meetings or other events where the promotion of GAC’s programs may be advanced;
- Provide logistical, procurement, financial management and administrative support to visiting missions;
- Providing any other related services as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum qualification of an undergraduate degree from a recognized university in development studies, international relations, public policy, or any other related degree;
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in development programming;
- Experience working with various stakeholders (government, non-government, donor agencies, civil society and private sector);
- Training and experience in Project Management would be an asset ;
- Attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information;
- Works with a high degree of accuracy in preparing information;
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances, with the capacity to find innovative ways to manage issues and challenges;
- Manages time productively and efficiently and meet changing deadlines;
- Self-directed and able to complete activities with limited supervision;
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills;
- Good analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills;
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment; honest and trustworthy;
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and Google software including Gmail, calendar, drive, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility, and we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is open to all suitably qualified CARICOM Nationals. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send an expression of interest and curriculum vitae by November 17, 2022 to [email protected]. Please indicate “FSSP Country Coordinator – Dominica” as the subject line of your email.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!