POSITION TITLE: Finance & Administrative Officer, VCP
POSITION LOCATION: Kampala, with frequent travels across the Country
REPORTS TO: Program Manager, GIVE
CONTRACT TERM: 1 Year, Renewable based on performance
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, 20th October 2020
EXPECTED START DATE: 15th November 2020
Are you an experienced professional with strong financial skills, good judgement and excellent interpersonal skills? WUSC is currently looking for a Finance & Administrative Officer to join the Volunteer Cooperation Program in Uganda.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC’s Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in developing countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people, especially young women and refugees. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, enterprises, women’s organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners for various durations of time. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, VCP for Uganda, the Finance & Administrative Officer will be responsible for the financial administration & operations of the VCP program and will also be required to support the Program Manager in the administration of human resources activities. Over all, the position will be split into approximately 70% Finance and 30% HR tasks.
Financial Administration & Operations
- Ensure account receivables and payables activities are performed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues
- Provide support to the HQ VCP Financial Analyst in reporting to donors, delivering financial activity reports within the timeframe, supporting financial audits.
- Ensure that financial transactions are properly updated and recorded
- Ensure that WUSC finance procedures are followed as part of internal control monitoring.
- Work with the Program Manager and HQ staff in the preparation and development of budgets and work plans.
- Provide support to the Program Manager, Uganda in the budget planning and reporting
- Prepare reports (e.g. monthly, interim, final) and in the stated format in order to meet all relevant WUSC donor requirements.
- Prepare the monthly payroll list and payments for salaries in accordance with local regulations.
- Manage the security of in-country cash, held on site and when being transferred to account holders.
- Ensure wire transfers and other financial transactions are received and recorded.
- Ensure WUSC bank account in Uganda is in good standing and any updates or changes are communicated to the Program Manager.
- Participate in internal audits as required.
Human Resources Activities
- Ensure that HR procedures and policies are in line with WUSC guidelines and local labour laws.
- Ensure that impartial recruitment procedures for national staff are followed.
- Ensure that salaries and benefits for nationally recruited staff are in-line with similar organizations, meet the requirements of local labour legislation and are within budget and respect WUSC’s salary administration guidelines.
- Draft employment contracts for new national staff for the Program Manager’s review and signature and monitor contract end dates.
- Ensure annual salary increases are reviewed and approved by the Program Manager and the Director VCP prior to authorizing and issuing payment.
- Keep employee files for all national staff.
- Keep records of leave, overtime and absenteeism for all national staff.
- Assist with visa preparations and monitor expiration dates.
- Ensure confidentiality and privacy is respected in all matters related to employment contracts, salary, leave, and other HR matters.
- Provide support to the Program Manager and Headquarters Human Resources on HR issues as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in a relevant field (i.e. business, finance, administration) or equivalent years of relevant professional experience.
Experience & Competencies
- Four (4) years of experience in financial operations and administration;
- Prior experience working for international organizations or donors preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel.
- Proficiency in SAGE 50 and/or Quickbooks.
- Strong team player and collaborator.
- Exercises tact, professionalism and discretion with sensitive and confidential financial and administrative information, such as employee files.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to analyze and prioritize needs.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage personal stress and regular deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Complete fluency in English is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.
WUSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge any Application/Recruitment Fees.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!