POSITION TITLE: Financial Analyst
POSITION LOCATION: Ottawa, Canada
REPORTS TO: Finance Portfolio Manager
CONTRACT TERM: Permanent Full Time
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 28, 2021
Do you have experience with the financial administration of project activities? Are you a self-starter? Results-oriented? Do you enjoy working as part of a remote team?
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Reporting to the Finance Portfolio Manager, this Financial Analyst (FA) position will be based in Ottawa with regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas. Post-pandemic, some travel may be required to countries of operation. Specific responsibilities include:
- Hands on responsibility to perform month-end and year-end closings, deferred revenue reconciliations, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verification of all payments, exchange rate calculations, preparation of month-end journal entries, and maintaining the chart of accounts for projects.
Financial Monitoring of Overseas Projects:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements of project activities after incorporating the field transactions for the disbursements made for overseas project operations.
- Perform financial analysis, prepare donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor.
- Review field bank reconciliations and manage the cash balances for the projects.
- Ensure finance staff in the field is properly trained in terms of accounting, preparation of their country/project budgets, donor requirements, and allocation of expenditures etc.
- Travel to field offices to train staff and to provide assistance with overseas financial procedures.
- Prepare detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts.
- Support audits commissioned by donor agencies in Ottawa and overseas including monitoring visits.
- Participate in internal audits of overseas projects supported by WUSC.
- Ensure sub-grantees financial accounting/reporting complies with donor requirements.
- Ensure implementation of necessary financial controls and due diligence (review of periodical reports, frequent monitoring visits and internal audits in the field, etc.)
- Provide regular variance analysis of project implementation and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
- Prepare detailed annual project budgets in conjunction with project staff.
- Provide support in financial aspects of new project proposal development for submission to various donors.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
Experience & Competencies
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in corporate accounting, and project accounting with international operations.
- Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheets (Excel), accounting packages (QuickBooks, SAGE 50), and communications packages (MS Word, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains will be a definite asset.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills.
- Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- Excellent computer skills; experience with google suite is an asset.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, work independently, and take initiative.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of French will be a definite asset.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!