Canada, Ontario preferred, remote/hybrid
Finance Portfolio Manager
Permanent Full Time
PRO 2 / PRO 3 (65-83k) depending on experience
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis
EXPECTED START DATE
After proper notice
Fluency in both English and French required
Do you have experience with the financial accounting and administration of project activities? Are you a self-starter? Results oriented? Do you enjoy working as part of a team?
WUSC is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and the Caribbean, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the MasterCard Foundation, and the African Development Bank.
Under the supervision of the Finance Portfolio Manager, the Financial Analyst (FA) will be responsible for a number of overseas projects. Specific responsibilities include:
- Hands on responsibility to perform month-end and year-end closings, deferred revenue reconciliations, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verification of all payments, exchange rate calculations, preparation of month-end journal entries, and maintaining the chart of accounts for projects.
Financial Monitoring of Projects:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial reports of project activities after incorporating the field transactions for the disbursements made for overseas project operations.
- Perform financial analysis, prepare donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor.
- Review field bank reconciliations and manage the cash balances for the projects.
- Provide support and training to project staff and partners in terms of: accounting, preparation of budgets, eligibility and allocation of expenditures and accounting and reporting of project transactions in accordance with donor requirements and budgets.
- Prepare detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts.
- Support audits commissioned by donor agencies including monitoring visits.
- Participate in internal audits of projects.
- Ensure implementation of necessary financial controls and due diligence related to project expenditures
- Ensure partner and grantee financial accounting/reporting complies with donor requirements.
- Provide regular variance analysis of project implementation and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
- Prepare detailed project budgets and forecasts in conjunction with project staff.
- Prepare donor financial reports in compliance with donor requirements.
- Provide support in financial aspects of new project proposal development for submission to various donors.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
Experience & Competencies
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in corporate accounting, and project accounting with international operations.
- Strong proficiency in spreadsheets (Excel) including complex formulas
- Proficiency with accounting packages (MS Dynamics GP, SAGE 50)
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills.
- Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- Excellent computer skills; experience with google suite is an asset.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, work independently, and take initiative.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Fluency in both English and French is required
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
Here’s some of what you can expect working with us in Canada:
- 35-hour workweek, ability to work flexible hours
- Remote-friendly workplace, with free access to our Ottawa office
- 4 weeks annual leave, plus the week between Christmas and New Year
- Paid sick days (10) and special leave days (5)
- Extensive health and dental coverage for you and your dependents, 100% covered by us
- Group RRSP contributions, from day 1
- 300$ reimbursement for home office equipment
- Parental leave top-up
- Being part of a friendly, caring and enthusiastic team!
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!