Position title: Gender Equality Specialist
Position location: Amman, Jordan
Reports to: Country Director, WUSC Jordan
Contract term: 12 months, with option to extend up to 2 additional years
Application deadline: June 4th, 2021
Expected start date: September 2021
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a leading Canadian international development organization that works with and through its southern partners to promote sustainable development. Founded in 1957 and currently working in 22 countries worldwide with an annual budget of approximately $35 million dollars, WUSC’s mission is to foster human development and global understanding through education and training. Our internationally recognized programs support youth, women and other marginalized populations, focusing on three thematic areas of education, employment and empowerment. Globally, WUSC works with a network of higher education institutions, civil society organizations, private sector partners, professionals, students, volunteers, faculty and community leaders that can be leveraged to support our work.
Nature and Scope:
The Gender Equality Specialist would provide technical support to the Jordanian Ministry of Education, in order to ensure effective integration of gender equality considerations in planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of activities related to education, with the ultimate goal of contributing to better development results in the education sector in Jordan. This includes supporting the consistent integration of gender equality as a crosscutting theme in key programs, as well as building the capacity of Ministry’s staff in that regard.
● University degree from a recognized university in a relevant discipline: gender equality studies, women studies, policy and administration, education, social sciences, international development / relations, political science, human rights, or sociology.
● Minimum of 10 years of professional experience as a gender equality specialist or in gender equality in the Middle East and North Africa region (Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen)
● A minimum of 7 cumulative years of experience providing technical assistance and/or advisory services related to the integration of gender equality issues and considerations in planning, design, monitoring and evaluation of education projects, programs, plans, or strategies for children and youth in vulnerable situations (e.g. refugees, displaced children, children with disabilities, out-of-school children).
● Demonstrated experience working with multiple types of stakeholders (Donor agencies, Governmental organizations, Semi-autonomous governmental agencies, Multilateral development organizations, Non-governmental organizations, and Private sector firms).
● Demonstrated experience conducting or writing gender-based analyses of projects, programs, plans and strategies (minimum of 7 assignments).
● Minimum 7 cumulative years of experience developing and providing gender equality knowledge-building activities.
● Minimum 7 cumulative years of experience developing tools and products related to inclusive education or child protection issues.
Languages and Other:
● Complete fluency, oral and written in English and Arabic
Interested candidates should send their CV to [email protected] Please indicate “Gender Equality Specialist Jordan” in the subject line.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!