Gender Equality Specialist
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Gender Equality Specialist
Caribbean Regional Development Program
The Government of Canada’s Caribbean Regional Development Program (CRDP) requires the services of a Gender Equality (GE) Specialist to support its programming over a one-year period. The Consultant will provide field level advice and Gender Equality support on technical and policy matters relating to gender equality to Canada’s bilateral development assistance program in the Caribbean.
2. SCOPE OF GOVERNANCE SERVICES
The Gender Specialist will provide field level advice and expertise on technical and policy matters relating to gender, which may impact Global Affairs Canada (GAC) programming in the Caribbean, as well as on Canada’s bilateral development assistance program in the region. The Gender Specialist will provide technical support to all stages of Canada’s programming, including advising on issues throughout the program lifecycle and program management. The Gender Specialist may also be called upon to provide expertise for Canada’s programming in other sectors, in addition to other development programs, including regional, multilateral, and Partnerships for Development Innovations programs.
The Gender Equality Specialist’s tasks will vary based on GAC’s identified needs with specific deliverables and priorities determined through the development and approval of quarterly work plans. Services to be provided may include:
2.1 Technical Support to Global Affairs Canada Caribbean Regional Development Program: Provide technical support and advice to Global Affairs Canada CRDP in the area of gender equality. This may include:
- Review and provide written analysis on emerging gender equality issues and challenges in the region and CRDP countries, as well as on gender equality policies, strategies and planning documents, outlining linkages with Global Affairs Canada’s policy framework and regional program priorities.
- Review Global Affairs Canada’s regional and country-level program documents related to/requiring the integration of gender equality and provide written analysis and advice on best practices and approaches to achieving results, potential risks, issues, constraints, opportunities, lessons learned, and possible synergies with other programs and sectors.
- Provide advice to Global Affairs Canada regional program team on opportunities, needs and entry points for action on gender equality issues, including on possible cooperation with other donors.
- Support Global Affairs Canada regional program in the review and/or development of gender-sensitive project proposals (including analysis, logic model, performance management framework, risk registry, project management framework, and budget), using results-based management and monitoring frameworks.
- Assess the capacity of local organizations and institutions in implementing gender equality initiatives to achieve meaningful gender equality-related results, and identify potential partners with appropriate gender equality programming capacity.
- Attend gender equality donor and technical group meetings and presentations as a resource person, contributing to knowledge-building/sharing and policy dialogue.
- Provide advice to Global Affairs Canada regional program team on issues that need to be raised in policy dialogue and/or advocacy with government, other donors, civil society organizations and private sector, in such fora as donor group meetings, consultative meetings led by the Government, program and project reviews.
- Provide ongoing technical advice and analysis on gender equality issues, including gender-based analysis, advice and recommendation on the integration of gender equality and the achievement of gender equality results (development, enabling, and management) in project-level interventions, program-based approaches, and interventions at the sector level (related to education, governance, and monitoring and evaluation).
- Contribute to the development and/or review of macro-level strategies, sector strategies, action plans, policies, evaluations, performance measurement frameworks, etc. with a view to integrating gender equality.
- Provide analysis and advice related to Global Affairs Canada policy on gender equality, including its reference to operational issues and its linkages with other Global Affairs Canada priorities (e.g. ODA program priorities).
- Work with Global Affairs Canada sector advisors to encourage, facilitate, and support the achievement of sector-specific gender equality expected results, assess potential risks, constraints and opportunities for promoting gender equality in all sectors (specifically related to governance).
- Assist Global Affairs Canada field staff and local sector advisors in the identification, recruitment & data base of local consultants (i.e. individuals, organizations and firms) with appropriate gender expertise to assist project teams.
- Assist in identifying gender equality capacity-building needs of Global Affairs Canada field staff, local sector advisors, and selected partners.
- Organize sessions for Global Affairs Canada field staff and local sector advisors, and partners as appropriate, regarding gender-related themes and issues of common concern, in order to share experience, and create synergies across the program;
- Provide advice and support to the respective Global Affairs Canada Development Officers responsible for gender equality programming for development of a monitoring framework in accordance with the Regional Strategy/Investment Plan
- Monitor the capacity of the Program to achieve gender equality results and provide input into overall regional and country-level program monitoring and reporting on results to ensure the integration of a gender perspective.
2.2 Quality Assurance provision: Support the application of and compliance with local sector and thematic regulatory and policy frameworks; contribute to various levels of gender equality reporting, monitoring and evaluation; and support and foster policy and program coherence. This may include:
- Provide guidance to Global Affairs Canada projects’ implementing partners and Executing Agencies on Global Affairs Canada and relevant national gender equality policy, legal and administrative requirements.
- Review gender equality program and project documents and advise on the quality and integrity of information and on compliance with the regulatory and policy frameworks of the CRDP countries.
- Provide technical support and advice to Global Affairs Canada regional Program team with the monitoring and evaluation of Gender Equality integrated projects and the regional and country-level program results in gender equality. This may encompass advising on indicators, reviewing project implementation plans, annual work plans, progress and evaluation reports, participation in project monitoring and mid-term review missions as a resource person, meeting with implementing partners and carrying out field visits.
- Participate and contribute to regional and country-level discussions on policies and program coherence related to gender equality.
- With regard to meetings involving Global Affairs Canada Gender Equality Specialists: assist in the preparations, participate, facilitate follow-up, and carry out ongoing liaison, as appropriate.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Gender Equality Annex of the Annual Regional and Country Reports.
- Monitor gender-related baseline indicators. Identify emerging gender-related issues and risks. Report on issues as they arise. Provide input into regional and country- level situational monitoring and reporting.
- Respond to requests for information from Global Affairs Canada Field and headquarters staff, and take a pro-active role in providing inputs to numerous documents and social media platforms such as; partner newsletters, gender equality “success stories”, briefing books, Twitter, Facebook and public information documents
2.3 Knowledge Management: Contribute local perspective and lessons learned to broader Global Affairs Canada knowledge pool and recipient regional and country partners, and help maintain/provide in-depth knowledge of recipient regional and country partners and gender equality networks. This may include:
- Research, collect, analyze, update and exchange country and region specific gender equality information and perspective with Global Affairs Canada field staff, HQ officers, relevant gender equality Specialists and relevant recipient country partners.
- Assist Global Affairs Canada by maintaining current knowledge of emerging organizations and institutions related to gender equality. Collect and analyse these organisations and institutions based on the Program’s requirements.
- Collect and analyze information from gender equality programs and/or gender equality integrated programs implemented by the governments of the CRDP, Global Affairs Canada, other donors and organizations, including identification of best practices, new approaches and lessons learned, to achieve better results in gender equality programming.
- Participate in, and contribute to, Global Affairs Canada’s gender equality Network activities and, as relevant, to other conferences, seminars and workshops and prepare notes to debrief Global Affairs Canada on findings and possible implications (or application) to its programs.
- Help identify, and maintain a roster of local gender equality expertise and services (private sector and organizations).
- Develop training material related to gender equality, and deliver presentation and training.
- Participate and share key programming achievements and challenges related to gender equality with the wider gender equality network (i.e. Gender Equality Focal Point Network).
- Keep up-to-date on emerging and evolving gender equality issues as noted in academic papers, newspaper articles, media, etc. Contribute to or prepare summaries for dissemination in the field and to Global Affairs Canada headquarters as appropriate.
3. WORKPLAN AND DELIVERABLES
The Gender Specialist will produce quarterly work plans, which will detail the deliverables expected for that period. The work plan will be based on needs identified by Global Affairs Canada and the Consultant’s recommended priorities which will require approval by Global Affairs Canada. The work plan must be submitted to the Deputy Director – Operations (Development) for approval. The work plan will be reviewed and updated monthly, taking into account changing priorities in the Global Affairs Canada Program and/or the countries’ context.
The Consultant reports to the FSSP-C Manager and working under the day-to-day technical direction of the GAC Focal Person for gender equality.
The Gender Specialist will be expected to keep the respective Development Officers informed and updated about the implementation and progress of their work. The Specialist will submit monthly reports on her/his activities related to gender programming in the field, consistent with the priorities established in the work plan. Reports will be shared with the relevant High Commissions of Canada and Global Affairs Canada headquarters, and other Gender Specialists in the region, as appropriate.
The monthly report (max 2 pages) will:
- Highlight tasks and results achieved; problems encountered and how they were dealt with;
- Identify key issues for Global Affairs Canada’s attention, and make recommendations for follow-up;
- Outline innovative initiatives, work plan/activities/expected results for the following month.
- Provide a summary of work plan tasks completed, results achieved, and progress towards achieving results;
- Highlight relevant information of use to the Program and projects, such as: outstanding issues and constraints, innovative initiatives, best practices, and lessons learned; and
- Identify new opportunities, and make recommendations for the next work plan period.
5. ESTIMATED LEVEL OF EFFORT
This assignment is a part-time position for one year. A 75% level of effort (approximately 15 days per month) will be required, some months may be more and some months may be less. The Gender Equality Specialist will work remotely, within a CRDP country.
An initial meeting will be held to discuss the Terms of Reference and to ensure a clear understanding of the expectations. Monthly check in meetings will be held subsequently, including quarterly reviews of work plans. The GE Specialist will participate in other GAC and sector-relevant meetings as identified and approved through quarterly work plans, or periodic ad hoc requests as required.
It is anticipated that all meetings will be held virtually.
7. LOCATION OF WORK
The Gender Equality Specialist will work remotely from their own facilities in a CRDP country.
No travel is anticipated for this assignment.
9. GENDER EQUALITY SPECIALIST PROFILE
The Gender Equality Specialist will have the following education, experience, abilities, knowledge and skills:
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. from an accredited, recognized institution in a relevant discipline such as Gender Studies, Sociology, Public Policy, or other related fields.
- Minimum of ten (10) years professional experience working in Gender development programming in the Caribbean.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in international and/or regional gender development programs and policy, preferably for a bilateral or multilateral development institution.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical advice and analysis to development organizations (i.e., bilateral donors, NGOs, multilateral organizations, national government agencies) on gender development issues across a variety of sectors e.g. agriculture, finance, environment and climate action, crime etc., with attention to results-based management, results reporting, needs assessments, program and project evaluation and stakeholder coordination.
- Experience collecting data or reporting against gender equality indicators and analyzing project and program results from a gender perspective.
- Capacity to work both with others and independently with minimal supervision.
- Capacity to proactively identify priority gender equality issues relevant to the Canadian development program.
- Capacity to plan and deliver the required outputs.
- Capacity to research, collect and analyse qualitative and quantitative data.
- Proven ability to analyze complex gender related issues and results/performance frameworks.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing for a variety of audiences and purposes.
- Ability to develop and maintain networks.
- Ability to work in a CRDP country (valid work or permanent residence permit or citizenship certificate).
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of the gender policies and frameworks within the Caribbean.
- Sound understanding of gender equality issues across the Caribbean
- Knowledge of, and extensive networks with key stakeholders in, the Caribbean Gender development sector (government and non-government).
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to analyse, compile and synthesize information in coherent and succinct formats and effectively communicate technical knowledge, advice, and results in a clear and concise manner for non-experts.
- A drive for results, including a proven track record of high standards/accountability for work products, meeting tight deadlines, and ability to prioritize tasks within his/her work program and strategies for working collectively with others on the team to deliver products of the highest calibre;
This position is open to all suitably qualified CARICOM Nationals. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send an expression of interest and curriculum vitae by April 6, 2023 to [email protected] Please indicate “FSSP Caribbean – Gender Equality Specialist” as the subject line of your email.
 The Caribbean Regional Development Program includes the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago.
 This would include all CRDP countries.
 Bridgetown, Barbados, Georgetown, Guyana, and Kingston, Jamaica
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!