POSITION TITLE: Manager, Public EngagementPOSITION LOCATION: Ottawa, Canada (currently remote)REPORTS TO: Director, Communications & Digital TransformationCONTRACT TERM: 12 months APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 31, 2021EXPECTED START DATE: April 1, 2021
Are you passionate about public engagement and global citizenship? WUSC is currently looking for a Manager, Public Engagement to provide leadership in its public engagement activities with international volunteers, post-secondary students, and other key members of the WUSC network.
WUSC is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees.
WUSC currently works in over 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada; Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada; and the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in lower-income countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people. In Canada, this network of volunteers, along with other members of the WUSC network works with us to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues.
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications and Digital Transformation & the Director, Volunteer Cooperation Program, the Manager, Public Engagement will be responsible for communications & public engagement strategy development and oversight; the successful delivery of public engagement campaigns and events; monitoring and reporting; and personnel management.
Strategy Development and Oversight
- Finalize the 2021 – 2022 organizational public engagement strategy and work plan, in collaboration with the volunteering for development, campus engagement, and communication and fundraising teams.
- Provide oversight on the public engagement strategy and work plan implementation, evaluation, and ongoing adaptation.
- Participate in program and corporate meetings to ensure public engagement perspective is included in broader programmatic and organizational strategies and work plans.
Public Engagement Campaigns and Events
- Coordinate public engagement campaigns and events, including strategy development, content development, and dissemination/marketing strategy.
- Lead the coordination of WUSC’s flagship annual public engagement event, the International Forum.
- Identify, secure, and manage relationships with campaign and event suppliers for public engagement, including venues, marketing firms, media firms, and printing firms.
- Provide oversight on campaign and event implementation, evaluation, and adaptation.
- Update overarching vision for WUSC’s approach to public engagement training, in person and online, for international volunteers and other members of the WUSC network.
- Collaborate with volunteer cooperation and development organizations to participate in sector-wide public engagement campaigns and activities.
- Develop and maintain dedicated campaign websites and webpages.
- Develop and implement regular social media engagement plans.
- Provide support to the development and dissemination of case studies and success stories.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of marketing tools, materials and other activities.
Public Engagement & Communications Monitoring and Reporting
- Support the development of a new public engagement and communications results monitoring tool.
- Monitor public engagement and communications results to identify areas of concern and growth.
- Adapt public engagement and communications strategies and work plans to reflect results and lessons learned.
- Feed public engagement and communications results into relevant annual reports to funders.
- Provide direct, daily guidance and support to the WUSC public engagement team.
- Provide coaching and advice to the WUSC communications and fundraising team, as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. marketing, communications, public relations)
Experience & Competencies
- A minimum of 7 years of related experience in progressively more responsible positions, including proven personnel management experience and excellent project or program management.
- Solid work experience in:
- public engagement strategy and campaign development, implementation, and evaluation
- developing and managing effective partnerships, including within the development community and media in Canada
- budget management
- event planning, training delivery and tool development
- mobilization of volunteers and youth
- Demonstrated human resources and team management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build cross-functional teams and develop international relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacity and willingness to work in partnership and with different cultural groups; staff and volunteers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French, and a clear, concise, persuasive writing style.
- Significant experience formulating, implementing, monitoring and analyzing results of major engagement initiatives.
- Flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high levels of responsibility and multiple priorities
- Excellent administration and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Experience in working with volunteers in a development program is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of gender equality and international volunteer cooperation.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Experience with relevant digital tools is an asset, including Salesforce, Google Workspace, WordPress, Social Media Platforms, and Adobe Software.
- Complete fluency in English and French is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is in centrally located Hintonburg in Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely. WUSC offers flexible working arrangements, competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2020.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!