Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
Position Title: MONITORING AND EVALUATION MANAGER
Position Location: Moyo, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Program Manager, WUSC Uganda
Contract term: Full-time, 1 year (renewable)
Likely start date: May 1st, 2023
Application deadline: March 14th, 2023
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a Canadian non-profit organization with a mission to enhance education, economic opportunities, and empowerment for youth. We work with a diverse network of students, volunteers, institutions, governments, and businesses. Together, we foster youth-centered solutions to overcome inequality and exclusion. WUSC is working in partnership with the Aga Khan Foundation of Canada (AKFC) with funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) to implement the Adolescent Girls’ Education in Crisis Initiative (AGENCI). This four-year project focuses on enhancing the empowerment of vulnerable refugee and host community girls in northern Uganda through life skills, mentorship programs, support to reduce financial barriers, and community engagement.
The AGENCI Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager will provide leadership on M&E activities and ensure quality oversight in order to meet project obligations and donor requirements. The M&E Manager is expected to provide technical expertise to ensure efficient, effective and timely planning and execution of the various project M&E processes and activities. Specifically, the M&E Manager is responsible for the following:
- Implementation of the AGENCI monitoring framework, using GAC’s Results-Based Management (RBM) principles;
- Ensuring M&E tasks (such as planning, coordination of monitoring and data collection activities, training of staff, etc.) are effectively carried out in accordance with the AGENCI’s MERL plan and to respond to both donor and corporate’s RBM requirements;
- Reviewing and updating monitoring and evaluation tools and systems (such as the Performance Management Framework) linked to key indicators for the purpose of informing program activities and reporting to the donor, and supporting continuous evidence-based learning and adaptive management in the process;
- Providing high quality technical support on planning, development and implementation of M&E systems to AGENCI staff and partner staff;
- Ensuring regular communication and coordination with regard to the collection, coordination and exchange of M&E information with project staff in Uganda, AKFC counterparts, and Canada-based WUSC staff; and
- Ensuring all AGENCI program activities develop and apply M&E systems which meet the evidence-based data collection requirements.
M&E Design/Quality Assurance
- Develop and periodically review tracking and monitoring tools for routine tracking and collecting of monitoring information;
- Ensure project tools are being used effectively by project and partners staff and that the data they are collecting informs the results intended;
- Ensure that tools in use meet the needs of the project and that staff have the capacity to utilize them effectively for reporting and monitoring of progress;
- Identify training needs of staff working on the project and recommend actions for improving capacity with regard to M&E;
- Ensure that data collected through M&E processes is reliable, accurate and complete – to the extent possible in the project context; and
- Apply a continuous improvement approach toward all data collection processes.
- Ensure that M&E activities are completed in a timely manner to contribute to high quality evidence-based reporting;
- Manage on-going data collection processes, analyses and internal verification for project evaluation purposes;
- Identify monitoring needs based on program implementation and collect data that effectively informs on-going progress;
- Ensure that accurate and complete monitoring, evaluation and data collection and and files are set up, maintained and updated;
- Support qualitative data collection for the purposes of documentation and dissemination of lessons learnt; and
- Support planning, logistics and coordination of WUSC staff and AGENCI consultants or technical assistance visits as required.
- Ensure timely and regular monitoring and evaluation data is shared with AGENCI colleagues to feed into reporting cycles in an efficient and timely manner, in accordance with GAC as well as WUSC standards;
- Ensure that regular updates on AGENCI monitoring and evaluation processes are communicated and shared with project staff across all partner organisations;
- Maintain and regularly update the PROUD and take lead in the compilation of high quality and evidence-based donor reports;
- Respond to requests for information from WUSC and AKFC staff, project partners, and WUSC Senior Management; and
- Other duties as required.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent mix of education and experience;
- A minimum of eight years of experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation of development programs;
- Experience working with international development partners, international non-governmental organizations and donors, ideally with Global Affairs Canada (formerly known as DFATD or CIDA);
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation concepts and principles is required;
- Knowledge of quantitative data collection and analysis is preferred;
- Knowledge of international development, and with issues that impact refugees and host communities;
- Experience working with ethnically diverse communities and with projects implementing gender mainstreaming strategies; and
- Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills in English, Kiswahili, and ideally at least one other language commonly spoken in Uganda.
WUSC offers a dynamic work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees and volunteers exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!