Ottawa (currently remote)
January 24, 2021
EXPECTED START DATE
Are you starting your career in the International Development sector? WUSC is currently looking for a Program Assistant to provide administrative support to the Programs team.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
WUSC’s Programs Section is responsible for implementing ongoing projects and programs as well as developing new activities to enhance the organization’s program portfolio. The programs team requires administrative support in order to ensure contractual obligations to donors are met and programs are delivered and reported on effectively and efficiently.
Under the direction of her/his supervisor and in close coordination with Program Managers, Senior Program Officers and Program Officers, the Program Assistant will provide administrative support to the Programs team, including:
- Assist with the development of systems, processes and tools for improved project management and delivery;
- Assist with the preparation of program/project reports and proposals, including conducting country- and issue-specific research, formatting and proof-reading;
- Maintain and update electronic and hard copy program files and records, including archived materials;
- Assist with the preparation of contracts for project staff / consultants;
- Assist with the development, production and distribution of promotional and communications products;
- Respond to general internal and external inquiries about programs and projects.
- Develop, implement and maintain administrative and communication tools for the Programs Section;
- Prepare finance requisitions and manage bill payments;
- Administer travel arrangements (including, the processing of visa applications) for staff and others associated with programs and projects;
- Assist with logistical arrangements for events and conferences;
- Organize and coordinate meetings, record and distribute minutes, and support in following up on decisions;
- Order office supplies and manage inventory;
- Prepare correspondence for mail / courier / shipping;
- Any other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Diploma, Bachelor’s degree in a related field (administration, social sciences, marketing, international development, public administration), or equivalent with relevant experience.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details, including ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously;
- Solid computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, database management, electronic mail and graphics;
- Strong interpersonal skills: able to work well with teams under tight deadlines;
- At least two years of experience in a similar field (administrative, planning, project management), overseas experience an asset;
- Experience working in an NGO environment and in donor-funded projects considered an asset; Experience in preparation and/or collaboration of project reports and/or proposals;
- Well-developed writing skills: clear, concise, persuasive writing style;
- Ability to translate French-English documents; and
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Complete fluency, oral and written in English and French is essential. Third language an asset.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is in centrally located Hintonburg in Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely. WUSC offers flexible working arrangements, competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2020
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!