Program Assistant, Program Development
Ottawa area preferred
31 August 2022
EXPECTED START DATE
Are you starting your career in the International Development sector? WUSC is currently looking for a Program Assistant to provide administrative support to the Programs and Program Development teams.
WUSC is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
WUSC’s Program Development (PD) Unit is a dynamic team responsible for the design of new and innovative programming at WUSC, in collaboration with other departments, particularly: our country offices, program managers, and technical advisors. The PD Unit identifies funding opportunities that are aligned with our programming areas. The PD Unit works with internal stakeholders and external partners to develop quality proposals, particularly for institutional donors and foundations.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Program Development, the Program Assistant will provide administrative support to the Program Development team, including:
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT
- Assist with the preparation of high quality project proposals, concept papers and expressions of interest to various donors, including formatting and proof-reading;
- Conduct research on relevant projects, issues and partner organizations to support program development initiatives;
- Assist in scanning and identifying relevant funding opportunities from a variety of donors;
- Maintain and update program development files and records, including archived materials;
- Maintain WUSC’s registrations with donors and other stakeholders;
- Assist with the preparation of contracts for program development consultants;
- Assist with the development, production and distribution of promotional and communications products;
- Respond to general internal and external inquiries about programs and program development.
- Prepare finance requisitions and manage bill payments;
- Administer travel arrangements (including, the processing of visa applications) for staff and others associated with programs and program development;
- Assist with logistical arrangements for events and conferences;
- Organize and coordinate meetings, record and distribute minutes, and support in following up on decisions;
- Support in-house meetings/events (logistics, meals, material, room bookings);
- Facilitate translation of materials;
- Order office supplies and manage inventory;
- Prepare correspondence for mail / courier / shipping;
- Any other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Diploma, Bachelor’s degree in a related field (administration, social sciences, marketing, international development, public administration), or equivalent with relevant experience.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details, including ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously;
- Solid computer skills in word processing, spreadsheet, database management, electronic mail and graphics;
- Strong interpersonal skills: able to work well with teams under tight deadlines;
- At least two years of experience in a similar field (administrative, planning, project management), overseas experience an asset;
- Experience working in an NGO environment and in donor-funded projects considered an asset;
- Experience in preparation and/or collaboration of project reports and/or proposals;
- Well-developed writing skills: clear, concise, persuasive writing style;
- Ability to translate French-English documents;
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently;
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Fluent in English and French.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is in centrally located Hintonburg in Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely or in a hybrid work mode. WUSC offers flexible working arrangements, competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!