POSITION TITLE: Public Outreach Officer, Volunteer Mobilization
POSITION LOCATION: Ottawa, Canada
POSITION LEVEL: Pro 1 ($47,800 to $56,400)
REPORTS TO: Manager, Public Engagement
CONTRACT TERM: Indeterminate
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 11, 2021
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC’s Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in developing countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people, especially young women and refugees. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, enterprises, women’s organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners for various durations of time. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Under the supervision of the Manager, Public Engagement, the Public Outreach Officer, Volunteer Mobilization will play a key role in the implementation of public engagement events, in collaboration with the programs, public engagement, and communications teams. During peak periods, the Public Outreach Officer, Volunteer Mobilization will also provide volunteer contract documentation and logistical administration support to the Volunteer Mobilization team.
Public Outreach (55%)
- Develop and cultivate relationships with key target audiences e.g. prospective volunteers, alumni, donors, media, diaspora, professional associations, and the general public, to build WUSC’s profile and generate interest and action, mainly through digital engagement and events.
- In collaboration with the public engagement, programs, and communications teams, implement outreach and digital engagement initiatives on social media and other digital platforms
- Assist the public engagement, programs, and communications teams in planning and delivering various online and in-person events for various stakeholders (e.g. trainings, alumni gatherings, roundtables, volunteer missions to Canada, International Forum).
- Coordinate digital and in-person event logistics (e.g. payments, registration, securing venues, catering, and interpretation services, coordinating speaker and guest travel and accommodations), ensuring that the highest standards are upheld.
- Convene and mobilize events committees, composed of staff and volunteers, by coordinating event meetings and work plans.
- Arrange for strategic speaking opportunities for WUSC representatives.
- Monitor and evaluate event activities and outcomes, and adapt event strategies accordingly.
- Contribute training resources for volunteers and other ambassadors on hosting successful public engagement events.
- Coordinate with the programs, public engagement and communications teams to develop internal and external communications, publicity, and other content related to recruitment and events.
Volunteer Mobilization (40%)
- Working closely with the Administrative Officer, Volunteer Mobilization, the Public Outreach Officer will provide support on volunteer contract documentation, logistical support, financial and other administration requirements for departing and returning volunteers, and for in-person pre-departure and debriefing sessions (e.g. travel, accommodation, meals, translators, returned volunteers).
- Support to volunteer contract documentation may include, but is not limited to, drafting and amending contracts, obtaining necessary signatures, ensuring all necessary documentation is completed, signed, and updated in volunteer personnel files, including maintenance of accurate data in Salesforce.
- Support to logistical administration may include, but is not limited to, overseeing pre-departure administrative and logistical preparations for Canadian volunteers, including organizing travel (e.g. flights, insurance, visas), submitting requests for volunteers’ allowances, drafting administrative correspondence, processing volunteers’ invoices and requests for reimbursements, contributing to the tracking and reporting on volunteer days/contribution, and contributing to the development and revision of administrative content, processes and systems.
Other Duties (5%)
- Undertake specific additional responsibilities as required.
- Provide cover for other team members, as required.
- Support the development of processes and ensure compliance for volunteer data management in Salesforce, assisting in the creation and application of program reports.
- Develop strategies to ensure contact information remains up-to-date during transitions back to Canada and upon post-secondary graduation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. events management, project management, public relations)
Experience & Competencies
- Two to three years experience in the area of public outreach, digital engagement, event planning, or related field
- Experience in organizing digital and in person events and workshops
- Skills in customer service, marketing, or sales
- Familiarity with all social media platforms
- Excellent group facilitation
- Excellent administrative skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of gender equality and international volunteer cooperation
- Experience as an overseas volunteer or working in international development is considered a strong asset
- Excellent computer skills; experience with google suite an asset
- Experience working and liaising with international delegates
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English and French
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work well in cross-cultural teams
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritize, organize, work independently, and take initiative
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt
- Available to work evenings and weekends
- Complete fluency in English and French is required.
Why work with us?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is in centrally located Hintonburg in Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely. WUSC offers flexible working arrangements, competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2021.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!