Position title: Senior Business Incubation Expert
Position location: Malawi
Reports to: Team Leader
Duration: 35 months
Application deadline: December 1st, 2021
Pre-incubation, incubation and post incubation support to TEVET graduates and MSEs (potential and existing) in Malawi
The objective of the assignment is to devise a suitable technical support package comprising of tailored services to be delivered to existing incubators in Malawi, to existing BDS service providers, and to existing and potential entrepreneurs for business incubation to effectively be actioned. This project is funded as part of the Entrepreneurship and Access to Finance (a six-year effort) component of United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP) II (2020-2023) in Malawi.
Nature and Scope:
The Senior Business Incubation Expert will provide business incubation services strengthening, including assessing the viability of incubators, conducting due diligence activities, and conducting business planning for enterprises.
The duties and responsibilities of the Senior Business Incubation Expert include:
- Map existing Business Incubators (BIs) in Malawi and define a competitive positioning map for each by assessing strengths and capacity gaps
- Devise a capacity development plan for the assessed incubators to fulfill market requirements and match the current needs to the demand of small scale enterprises
- Support the development of Business Plans for the Incubators that are deemed eligible for support
- Determine a growth plan and a financial sustainability plan for the incubators deemed being relevant for the Malawian market;
- Determine the business standards for incubation that are aligned with the National Business Incubation Strategy, with a clear segmentation of the incubation process, pre-incubation and post-incubation, for quality delivery of services to entrepreneurs;
- Assess the potential for creation, where required, of pre-incubation / start-up service centres for urban areas within e.g. universities, technical colleges and through fabrication solutions for rural/urban areas;
- Devise a platform that formalizes a network of incubators for networking, exchanges, peer to peer learning, coaching and mentoring.
- Minimum of a post-graduate degree in the field of business, finance, entrepreneurship, economics or a related field.
- Minimum 8 years of experience of working in Africa or other similar countries with the private sector and on business incubation and/or business acceleration; experience in Malawi is an added advantage;
- At least 6 years of specialist knowledge in:
- Assessing the commercial and technical viability of incubators;
- Due diligence;
- Business planning;
- Experience in demonstrating an ability to effectively lead teams and provide strategic guidance on complex projects in business incubation and acceleration;
- Experience in demonstrating an ability to provide financial management advice on the implementation of projects;
- Experience in demonstrating an ability to engage with private sector players at senior management level and ability to diligently monitor a complex investment portfolio of projects;
- Ability to monitor risks for contracted incubators and provide timely solutions;
- Ability to develop policy papers and industry analyses;
- Program/project management experience and good communication skills.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Interested candidates should submit an application to [email protected] by December 1st, 2021. Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter which details why they are an ideal candidate (qualifications and experience). Please indicate “Senior Business Incubation Expert” in the subject line.
Kindly note this employment opportunity is subject to a Request for Proposals by UNDP. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, consultants, representatives and partners correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!