Position title: Senior Financial Analyst
Position location: Ottawa preferred, remote optional
Contract term: Indeterminate
Reports to: Finance Portfolio Manager
Application deadline: Open until position is filled
Level: Pro 3 (64,500 – 76,000)
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Nature and Scope:
This Senior Financial Analyst (SFA) position will be based in Ottawa with regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas and some required travel overseas. The SFA will have overall responsibility for the financial administration of project activities and is expected to provide strong professional expertise in the conduct of financial affairs relating to the project(s). They must be a self-starter; results oriented, capable of working independently, enjoy working as part of a team, and willing and able to travel. Specific responsibilities include:
Project Financial Management:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial reports of project activities after incorporating the field transactions for the disbursements made for overseas project operations.
- Provide regular financial analysis of project implementation and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
- Prepare donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor.
- Review field bank reconciliations and manage the cash balances for the projects.
- Provide training and support to project finance staff overseas in terms of accounting, preparation of their country/project budgets, donor requirements, and allocation of expenditures etc.
- Identify, improve and standardize country financial processes where possible.
- Ensure strong collaboration with project partners, including budget and risk management
- Prepare and present financial reports in consortium or program meetings.
- Communicate with donors on issues related to the financial management of projects.
- Hands on responsibility to perform month-end and year-end closings, deferred revenue reconciliations, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verification of all payments, exchange rate calculations, preparation of month-end journal entries, and maintaining the chart of accounts for projects.
- For new projects, build the project chart of accounts and set the project up in accounting software
- Prepare detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts.
- Support audits commissioned by donor agencies including monitoring visits.
- Participate in internal audits of projects supported by WUSC.
- Ensure implementation of necessary financial controls and due diligence (review of periodical reports, frequent monitoring visits and internal audits in the field, etc.)
- Ensure that established control procedures are in place and suggest improvements if needed.
- Prepare detailed annual project budgets in conjunction with project staff.
- Provide support in financial aspects of new project proposal development for submission to various donors.
Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in corporate accounting, and project accounting with international operations.
- Strong accounting technical abilities.
- Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheets (Excel), accounting packages (QuickBooks, SAGE 50), and communications packages (MS Word, and Power Point).
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel and ability to use functions such as V-Lookups and Pivot Tables
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains will be a definite asset.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills. Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- Pro-active with a strong desire to learn.
- Excellent communication skills and strong team player.
- Fluent in English and French an asset
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2021 .
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!