About the WUSC Alumni Advisory Committee
The Alumni Advisory Committee is a group of past WUSC international and e-volunteers acting as WUSC ambassadors across Canada and supporting the Public Engagement team in mentoring volunteers, organizing events to raise awareness on development issues amongst Canadians, and building a lifelong community of WUSC alumni.
Members of the Alumni Advisory Committee will act as WUSC ambassadors by contributing their diverse perspectives, skills and experiences – which were further enhanced during their international volunteer assignment – for the purpose of:
1) building awareness and furthering the understanding of global development issues amongst Canadians through involvement in speaking events in Canada and globally;
2) assisting WUSC staff in engaging the wider community of WUSC alumni in public engagement and fundraising initiatives in their own province;
3) supporting WUSC staff with the preparation of networking and social events with other fellow volunteers and alumni based in their own province. Tasks may include managing budget and logistics.
Please note public engagement and alumni events will be held exclusively online until further notice.
We are looking for:
- A total of 3 – 5 alumni who have volunteered with WUSC internationally and completed at least one assignment (e-volunteers and international volunteers are eligible).
- A diverse representation of alumni by:
- Gender identity
- Diversities (age, sexual orientation,
- Country of origin, and other cultural identities (diaspora, indigenous, cultural communities, etc)
- Region in Canada (West (BC and Alberta), Ontario and Quebec)
- Profession and area of expertise
- Type of institution studied at in Canada : University, College, CEGEP
- Skills and interest in the various roles outlined below
This position will be based online until further notice.
- Alumni advisors will be asked to make a commitment to participate in the team for a minimum of 1 year term with the option of extending up to 3 years total.
- Alumni advisors will be asked to contribute an average of 5-10 hours per month, plus additional hours relating to tasks at hand
- Alumni advisors will be asked to attend events such as:
- Workshops (held 3-4 times a year)
- International Forum (held a year)
- Other networking and social events (held 3-4 times a year)
Duties and Responsibilities
Increasing awareness of the Alumni Advisory Committee’s work
Support the WUSC staff with communications tasks. Ensure WUSC alumni receive regular updates about the Alumni Advisory Committee and its activities (e.g: tasks include contributing to the Alumni newsletter).
Organizing engagement activities and events
In collaboration with WUSC staff, plan and organize various fun and exciting activities and events to engage alumni across Canada. Assist with the coordination of various public engagement opportunities.
Mentoring and acting as resource persons
Become a resource person and mentor for current volunteers. Respond to their questions and help them navigate the Volunteer Café platform for information and resources about public engagement.
Participating in the Speakers Bureau
Support WUSC Staff in the creation and implementation of the first official WUSC Speakers Bureau. Organize and take part in internal and external public speaking engagements.
Skills and qualifications
- Believe in our approach to global development— skills sharing and capacity building
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Demonstrated organizational, multi-tasking and detail oriented skills
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Strong communication skills in English (French is a strong asset)
- Experience organizing events
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Leadership skills
- Strong initiative
What we offer in return:
- Travel, accommodation and meals covered if invited to actively participate at one of WUSC’s national or regional conferences (i.e. International Forum and other events)
- The opportunity to speak at and attend conferences and other events based on available budget
- Recognition for your contribution in variety of ways during public events and through social media
- Reference letters by WUSC staff highlighting your experience in this leadership capacity and LinkedIn referrals (recommendations and endorsement)
If you meet the qualifications listed above and would be interested to volunteer with WUSC as an Alumni Advisor, please send your cover letter and resume before March 19 2020 to Laura Lortie-Maurel, Public Outreach Officer at WUSC at [email protected]
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!