Position Title: Administrative Assistant (Full Time)
Position Location: Guyana
Reports to: Project Director – ENGAGE Guyana
Contract Term: 2 Year, Renewable
Application Deadline: 8 July 2022
Expected Start Date: August 1 2022
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of governments, civil society organizations, schools, training institutions, private sector partners, and volunteers who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada (GAC), the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
THE ENGAGE PROJECT
WUSC is currently initiating a new project in Guyana called Empowering the Next Generation: Agency and Gender Equality (ENGAGE) for Youth. The project aims to increase participation and inclusion of Guyana’s most remote, marginalized, and poorest populations in regions predominantly occupied by Indigenous people. Interventions will focus on marginalized indigenous populations, women and youth in Guyana and will include: providing opportunities to improve civic participation; increasing access to resources; and fostering more meaningful engagement in decision-making.
Reporting to the WUSC Guyana ENGAGE Project Director, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for coordinating office operations and procedures and ensuring the overall effective and efficient functioning of the office. He/She will also provide administrative assistance in general project implementation and management and day-to-day liaison with counterparts.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Support the operations of the country office in Guyana, including coordinating procurement of goods and services (overseas and domestic);
- Be responsible for day-to-day project correspondence, information sharing and filing ensuring that appropriate follow-up actions are taken;
- Answering calls and receiving visitors, directing these to the relevant staff;
- Support the implementation of office policies, systems and procedures, in line with WUSC policies, and offer suggestions for improvements;
- Maintain personnel files while maintaining tact and confidentiality;
- Support orientation of new staff and volunteers as necessary;
- Support the preparation of reports, presentations, memorandums, proposals and correspondence, as required;
- Support the entry and quality assurance of project monitoring and evaluation (M&E) data in coordination with the M&E Specialist;
- Schedule appointments and meetings for senior staff, visiting personnel and consultants;
- Facilitate organization of project-related meetings, training and consultations;
- Documenting minutes of meetings as necessary;
- Maintaining a current list of staff and stakeholder contacts;
- Coordinate travel arrangements for project staff and consultants;
- Where the office has a project vehicle, coordinating the functions of the driver as well as the use and maintenance of a log book for the project vehicle;
- Serve as the ‘go-to’ for office inquiries;
- Monitor office systems and operations including coordinating the necessary equipment maintenance and servicing where required;
- Track office supply inventory and approve supply requisitions;
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and expenses under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Manager;
- Liaise with project counterparts on day-to-day implementation of project activities;
- Perform other duties as determined by the Project Director
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Minimum qualification of Professional Secretarial Designation (APS, CAP), or Diploma in Office Administration; or the equivalent;
- Minimum of 5 years of administrative assistance work experience, of which preferably; experience in providing assistance in project coordination and implementation;
- Proven knowledge of office administration;
- Knowledge and experience in preparing budgets and handling expenses;
- Works with attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information;
- Works with a high degree of accuracy in preparing and entering information;
- Able to adapt to changing circumstances, with the capacity to find innovative ways to manage issues and challenges;
- Manages time productively and efficiently and meet changing deadlines;
- Self-directed and able to complete projects with limited supervision;
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills;
- Developed analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills;
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment; honest and trustworthy;
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and Google software including Gmail, calendar, drive, spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility, and we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is open to all suitably qualified CARICOM Nationals. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send your application to [email protected]. Please indicate “Administrative Assistant – ENGAGE Guyana” as the subject line of your email.
The Empowering the Next Generation: Agency and Gender Equality (ENGAGE) Project is implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC) with funding support from the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!