|POSITION TITLE||Driver & Logistics Officer|
|POSITION LOCATION||Jamaica (1 position)|
|REPORTS TO||Country Coordinator|
|CONTRACT TERM||2 years|
|APPLICATION DEADLINE||Open until filled|
|EXPECTED START DATE||May/June 2022|
Are you an enthusiastic and reliable person committed to ensuring inclusive and sustainable agricultural markets in the Caribbean function effectively? WUSC is currently looking for a Driver & Logistics Officer in Jamaica to providing the local program team with transportation and logistics support and other related services to facilitate project implementation.
World University Service of Canada (registered as WUSC Caribbean in the Caribbean), is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO) , the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
WUSC Caribbean is implementing a new five-year project – the Sustainable Agriculture in the Caribbean (SAC) Project, which will promote climate resilient agriculture for equitable economic growth to increase the economic prosperity of women and youth (female & male) in more sustainable agricultural markets in the Caribbean. The project builds on learning from a previous phase of PROPEL, a multi-country economic growth project, funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and will be implemented in Dominica; Guyana; Jamaica; Saint Lucia; and Suriname.
Women and youth (female & male) will be central players in the targeted agricultural market systems so they can restore the dwindling number of farmers in the region, while strengthening more climate resilient domestic agricultural production to enhance food security, and reduce reliance on imported agricultural products, for more sustainable economic growth. Recognizing that adult males are currently dominant actors in market systems, the SAC Project will also work with men, so they can become advocates for women and youth fostering the right conditions for equitable participation. The SAC Project will engage agricultural markets in each of the target countries, and provide capacity-building support to local organizations.
WUSC Caribbean will apply an Inclusive Market Systems (IMS) approach, engaging multiple stakeholders, including established country partners, to create links between key market actors; strengthen their capacity through training, information sharing and outreach; and foster climate resilient approaches (re-orienting agricultural development for sustainability), at every stage and via every market actor in the agricultural value chain. This approach will help to mitigate the impacts of climate change, reduce the region’s vulnerability to natural disasters, and foster climate-resilient agricultural markets that offer increased, sustainable economic benefits for women and youth.
Reporting tothe Country Coordinator the Driver and Logistics Officer is responsible for providing the local program team with transportation and logistics support and other related services to facilitate project implementation in Jamaica.
- Drive the Project vehicle for authorized trips and for the transportation of authorized personnel/ program staff within Jamaica.
- Perform support services to the project activities, like delivery of mail, payments, documents and other items.
- Support logistics of program’s guests such as pick-ups/drop-offs.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the vehicle, keeping the vehicle in safe, clean working condition and ensure road-worthiness, and ensure that all necessary action is taken in a timely manner in case of involvement in accidents in accordance with WUSC rules and regulations and full respect of local laws.
- Maintain the vehicle logbooks in accordance with established administrative procedures.
- Perform minor repairs to mechanical equipment such as deemed appropriate and make arrangements for other repairs when necessary.
- Report incidents and violations as per rules and regulations and ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations in the event of an incident are followed.
- Drive safely and responsibly at all times.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Completion of secondary school is required
Experience & Competencies
- At least five (5) years of experience driving in Jamaica with sound knowledge of off-road driving techniques in rural communities
- Excellent knowledge of Jamaica’s geography and road networks
- Ability to perform basic written communication such as maintaining logbook and preparation of purchase orders, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of local road traffic regulations
- Valid Open drivers’ license
- A clean driving record
- Pro-active with ability to take initiative and work in a team environment;
- Adaptable and flexible, with the capacity to find innovative ways to manage issues and challenges using problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- High tolerance for uncertainty.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to handle a large volume of work at times under time constraints
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle maintenance/repair
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of security issues
- Ability to function as part of a dynamic team
- Reliability, honesty and trustworthiness
- Ability to maintain professional relations with staff and guests at all times
- Complete fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC Caribbean offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC Caribbean work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
WUSC Caribbean’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants may be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Suitably qualified persons are invited to submit their cover letter, CV, and the name and contact information of 3 professional references via email to [email protected]. Please use the subject line Driver & Logistics Officer for job applications.
While WUSC Caribbean thanks all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Sustainable Agriculture in the Caribbean (SAC) project is implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC) with funding support from the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!