Position title: Internal Auditor
Position location: Ottawa preferred, remote optional
Contract term: 1 year
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Position Level: PRO 3 ($65.500 – $80k)
Application deadline: October 17, 2021
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Working out of our headquarters in Ottawa (or remotely), the Internal Auditor acts as a key role within the risk management processes of the organization. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this position will support the development and implementation of internal audit activities. Post-pandemic, some travel may be required to countries of operation. Specific responsibilities include:
- Identify and document business processes and controls in order to evaluate risks and compensating controls
- Support the development of internal audit plans, audit programs and procedures
- Conduct internal audits of the organization’s projects and operations
- Prepare audit findings reports for senior management
- Provide value-added analysis and process improvements of risk management and internal control structure, performance and efficiency
- Ensure compliance with CRA and donor requirements
Internal Audit – Equality Fund
- Support the development of the internal audit processes, programs and procedures surrounding grant making activities, including sub-granting
- Conduct internal audits including grantee audits
- Prepare audit findings reports for senior management of the Equality Fund and grantees
In addition to internal audit, this position will also be responsible to act as the financial analyst on one or more projects. Specific responsibilities include:
Financial Accounting and Reporting:
- Preparation of month-end journal entries, perform month-end and year-end closings, deferred revenue reconciliations, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verification of payments, exchange rate calculations, and maintaining the chart of accounts for projects.
- Review field bank reconciliations and manage the cash balances for the projects.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial reporting of project activities, both internal and for donor reporting
- Perform financial analysis of project implementation and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
- Prepare detailed annual project budgets in conjunction with project staff.
- Support annual and donor audits and prepare detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
Experience & Competencies
- A minimum of five (5) years accounting experience with at least three (3) years of experience in public accounting/auditing or internal audit
- Experience in corporate accounting and project accounting with international operations.
- Proficiency in spreadsheets (Excel), accounting packages (MS Dynamics GP), and communications packages (MS Word, and PowerPoint).
- Excellent computer skills; experience with Google suite is an asset.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills.
- Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, work independently, and take initiative.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Share in WUSC’s commitment and approach to advance gender equality and social inclusion for all young people.
- Ability to contribute to WUSC’s organizational culture that respects differences, including sex, age, ability, refugee or migration status, race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and other identity factors.
Bilingual required – Fluent in English and French
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!