Junior Administrative Assistant
Caribbean, Saint Lucia
|POSITION TITLE||Junior Administrative Assistant|
|POSITION LOCATION||Saint Lucia|
|REPORTS TO||Country Coordinator (OECS – based in Dominica)|
|CONTRACT TERM||Two years (full time consultancy position)|
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
WUSC is implementing the Sustainable Agriculture in the Caribbean (SAC) project, which promotes climate resilient agriculture for equitable economic growth to increase the economic prosperity of women and youth (f/m) in more sustainable agricultural markets in the Caribbean. The project is funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and is implemented in Dominica; Guyana; Jamaica; Saint Lucia; and Suriname.
Women and youth (f/m) are central players in the targeted agricultural market systems so they can restore the dwindling number of farmers in the region, while strengthening more climate resilient domestic agricultural production to enhance food security, and reduce reliance on imported agricultural products, for more sustainable economic growth. Recognizing that adult males are currently dominant actors in market systems, SAC also works with men, so they can become advocates for women and youth (f/m) fostering the right conditions for equitable participation. The SAC project engages agricultural markets in each of the target countries, and provides capacity-building support to local organizations.
WUSC applies an Inclusive Market Systems (IMS) approach, engaging multiple stakeholders, including established country partners, to create links between key market actors; strengthen their capacity through training, information sharing and outreach; and foster climate resilient approaches (re-orienting agricultural development for sustainability), at every stage and via every market actor in the agricultural value chain. This approach helps to mitigate the impacts of climate change, reduce the region’s vulnerability to natural disasters, and foster climate-resilient agricultural markets that offer increased, sustainable economic benefits for women and youth (f/m).
Reporting tothe Country Coordinator for the OECS, but working in close collaboration with the Administrative Assistant based in Dominica and the field team based in Saint Lucia, the Junior Administrative Assistant is responsible for coordinating field operations and procedures and ensuring overall efficiency and effectiveness of field programming. This includes ensuring established systems are adhered to e.g. internal communications and record keeping, and ensuring they are maintained and function at a high level.
Main Responsibilities Include:
- Support the operations of WUSC Caribbean’s administrative systems, including coordinating procurement of goods and services (overseas and domestic)
- Receiving calls and directing these to the relevant staff
- Support the implementation of WUSC Caribbean policies, systems and procedures and offer suggestions for improvements
- Support filing systems and assist country team in maintaining up to date files and databases
- Support the preparation of reports, presentations, memorandums, proposals and correspondence, social media postings as required
- Support the entry and quality assurance of project M&E data
- Schedule appointments and meetings for senior staff, visiting personnel and consultants
- Facilitate the organization of project-related meetings, training and consultations
- Documenting minutes of meetings as necessary
- Documenting still imagery of related project activities
- Support the maintenance of a current list of stakeholder contacts
- Support the coordination of travel arrangements for project staff and consultants where necessary
- Manage staff schedules, as required
- Coordinating the necessary equipment maintenance and servicing where/if required
- Track field and program supply inventories and approve supply requisitions for events
- Support orientation of volunteers as necessary
- Liaise with other agencies, organizations and groups as required; and
- Other duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Minimum qualification of Professional Secretarial Designation (APS, CAP), or Diploma in Office Administration; or the equivalent
Experience & Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a similar position.
- Proven knowledge of office administration.
- Detail oriented and able to work with a high degree of accuracy in preparing and entering information.
- Highly organized and flexible; able to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to multi-task and meet changing deadlines.
- Self-directed and able to complete projects with limited supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills.
- Developed analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Able to maintain confidentiality in handling personnel matters; honest and trustworthy with strong work ethic.
- Highly proficient in use of Microsoft and Google software including Gmail, calendar, drive, spreadsheet, word processing and presentation software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Adaptable and flexible, with the capacity to find innovative ways to manage issues and challenges;
- High tolerance for uncertainty
- Negotiations skills
- Complete fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC Caribbean offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC Caribbean work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
WUSC Caribbean’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC Caribbean promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC Caribbean is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is open to all suitably qualified CARICOM Nationals. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Suitably qualified persons are invited to submit their cover letter, CV, and the name and contact information of 3 professional references via email to [email protected]. Please use the subject line Junior Administrative Assistant – Saint Lucia for job applications. Applications will be received up to midnight on the 27th of February, 2023.
While WUSC Caribbean thanks all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Sustainable Agriculture in the Caribbean Project is implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC) with funding support from the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!