POSITION TITLE: Outreach Officer, Public Engagement
POSITION LOCATION: Ottawa, Canada preferred
REPORTS TO: Manager, Public Engagement
CONTRACT TERM: Indeterminate
EXPECTED START DATE: December, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 2, 2021
POSITION LEVEL: PRO 1 (47.800 -56,400)
Are you passionate about engaging Canadians in global development? WUSC is currently looking for an Outreach Officer, Public Engagement to deliver public engagement activities with WUSC’s network of international volunteers and volunteer alumni.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees.
WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in lower-income countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people. In Canada, this network of volunteers, along with other members of the WUSC network works for us to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues.
Under the supervision of the Manager, Public Engagement, the Outreach Officer, Public Engagement will be responsible for the delivery, tracking, and monitoring of communications and public engagement initiatives and events.
- Develop public engagement resources (e.g. checklists, templates, guides) for international volunteers and other key audiences.
- Develop marketing material and other content to support the communications, programs, and public engagement team (in both official languages).
- Liaise with external suppliers to ensure brand exposure through paid advertising.
Volunteer Engagement Activities, and Events
- From attending pre-departure trainings to delivering monthly check-ins, ensure continuous communication with mobilized volunteers on public engagement and fundraising campaigns, events, and opportunities.
- Support the development and implementation/dissemination of public engagement initiatives and events, in collaboration with the campus. communications and programs teams.
- Provide one-on-one support for volunteers’ specific public engagement and fundraising activities (virtual and eventually in-person), offering guidance and ideas, and answering questions as needed.
- Oversee requests and the allocation of funds for volunteer public engagement activities.
- Support volunteers to track the public engagement and fundraising activities, reach, and impact of their public engagement efforts.
- Collaborate closely with the corporate communications team to amplify public engagement activities of volunteers through corporate communications channels to corporate communications audiences.
Alumni Engagement Activities, and Events
- Develop and implement strategies, work plans, and budgets for volunteer alumni onboarding and ongoing alumni engagement, in collaboration with the campus and communications teams.
- Develop new initiatives (e.g. speakers bureau, networking events) to engage alumni in new and meaningful ways.
- Oversee implementation and evaluation of alumni programs (e.g. alumni advisory committee), adapting strategies, work plans, and budgets as required.
- Provide one-on-one support to alumni who wish to undertake public engagement and fundraising activities among their networks.
- Collaborate closely with the corporate communications team to amplify alumni public engagement activities through corporate communications channels to corporate communications audiences.
Tracking and Monitoring
In collaboration with the Specialist, Planning, Performance and Learning, and the other members of the PE, Strategic Communications, and Volunteer Mobilization teams:
- Support the design, development, organization, preparation, delivery of pre-assignment training courses and activities for volunteers, in person and online, in both official languages.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of event delivery, capture detailed engagement after each event and initiative. Identify areas of growth (increase attendance, feedback or engagement).
- Feed public engagement and communications results into relevant annual reports to funders.
- Provide cover for other team members, as required.
- Support the development of processes and ensure compliance for volunteer and member data management in Salesforce, assisting in the creation and application of program reports.
- Undertake specific additional responsibilities from time-to-time, as agreed upon with the Manager, Public Engagement
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. marketing, communications, public relations, international development, community management).
Experience & Competencies
- At least one to two years of work experience in public engagement, preferably in a communications and/or events role.
- Significant experience helping design and execute plans for public campaigns, including digital campaigns, and consultations, community liaison, events and outreach, educational programs and other engagement initiatives.
- Proficiency with information technologies (multimedia) and social media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacity and willingness to work in partnership and with different cultural groups; staff and volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French, and a demonstrated capacity to adapt communications for diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of gender equality and international volunteer cooperation.
- Significant experience processing payments and overseeing administrative documents.
- Previous experience in fundraising an asset. Previous experience with a monitoring tool such as Meltwater an asset.
- Excellent computer skills; experience with google suite an asset.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, work independently, and take initiative.
- Ability to think critically and with an interest in improving processes.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- If based outside of Ottawa, available to travel to Ottawa 1-2 times per month, and work evenings and weekends, for events when necessary.
- Complete fluency in English and French is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2021.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!