Program Officer, Volunteer Recruitment & Mobilization (standard volunteers – VCP and bilateral projects) – Bilingual
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Manager, Volunteer Mobilization
PRO 1 (47800 to 56400)
October 12, 2021
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC’s Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in developing countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people, especially young women and refugees. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, enterprises, women’s organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners for various durations of time. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Under the supervision of the Manager Volunteer Mobilization, the Program Officer, Volunteer Recruitment & Mobilization (standard volunteers – VCP and bilateral projects), is responsible for implementing recruitment strategies, selecting candidates and matching volunteers to meet the needs of global partners and WUSC country offices.
The Program Officer, Volunteer Recruitment & Mobilization, works collaboratively with staff members in Canada and internationally to fulfil the recruitment requirements of the Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) and WUSC bilateral projects.
Assignment Development, Volunteer Mobilization and Volunteer Management
- Work in partnership with international colleagues to review and validate the job descriptions for volunteers and post assignments on the WUSC website;
- Screen volunteer applications for eligibility and suitability for specific assignments;
- Conduct formal interviews with volunteer candidates and assess candidates’ alignment with WUSC’s volunteer assessment competencies, WUSC’s values, mission and vision as well as comply with WUSC’s Code of Conduct;
- Share selected applications to WUSC country offices for final approval;
- Conduct regular follow-ups on recruitment progress with international colleagues and with the Manager, Volunteer Mobilization;
- Collaborate with the volunteer training team and volunteer administration team to ensure volunteers are prepared for their assignments and to ensure all necessary administrative documentation and requirements are completed;
- Support international staff in the recruitment of non-Canadian volunteers by sharing recruitment tools and supporting with the recruitment process, as needed;
- Provide volunteer management support to WUSC Country teams and support to volunteers on assignment as required;
- Conduct one-on-one debriefing sessions with volunteers after the completion of the assignment;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date assignment and volunteer data in the Information Management Systems.
- In coordination with the Manager, Volunteer Mobilization and the Communications Team, create and implement volunteer recruitment strategies;
- Identify candidate audiences to meet the demand of projects and identify relevant recruitment channels to use to increase visibility of WUSC’s volunteer opportunities;
- Lead on social media and other networking and communications tools and continuously explore new recruitment sources, external job boards and forums to reach potential candidates;
- Assess recruitment/marketing analytics and make recommendations for strengthening effectiveness of volunteer recruitment strategy;
- Coordinate the volunteer roster to maintain a constant supply of warm candidates;
- Remain current on the recruiting industry and on international volunteer recruitment strategies.
Other related duties:
- Contribute to the development, implementation and review of team systems, processes and tools;
- Provide support to the Recruitment & Volunteer Mobilization Officers including but not limited to participating in interviews for other volunteer streams;
- Provide cover to other staff as needed;
- Support with onboarding of new colleagues;
- Undertake specific additional responsibilities, as may be agreed upon with their Supervisor.
- Integrate gender equality and other inclusion considerations in all recruitment activities.
Qualifications and Competencies:
Education: University degree in Human Resources, Communications and Marketing, International Development, or a related discipline
Experience & Competencies:
- At least one year of professional experience in recruitment;
- Experience working in international cooperation;
- Sound judgement, entrepreneurial spirit and experience in business development;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to work in partnership with different cultural groups, staff and volunteers;
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Understanding of intercultural adaptation and understanding of the labour markets;
- Understanding of the approach to equality between women and men and values of international volunteering;
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt,
- Share in WUSC’s commitment and approach to advance gender equality and social inclusion for all young people;
- Ability to contribute to WUSC’s organizational culture that respects differences, including sex, age, ability, refugee or migration status, race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and other identity factors.
Languages: Bilingual English/French (fluency essential).
Travel: Occasionally travel in Canadaand internationally.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility, and we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is in centrally located Hintonburg in Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely. WUSC offers flexible working arrangements, competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2021.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!