Position title: Team Leader
Position location: Malawi
Reports to: Country Director, Malawi
Duration: 35 months
Application deadline: December 1st, 2021
Pre-incubation, incubation and post incubation support to TEVET graduates and MSEs (potential and existing) in Malawi
The objective of the assignment is to devise a suitable technical support package comprising of tailored services to be delivered to existing incubators in Malawi, to existing BDS service providers, and to existing and potential entrepreneurs for business incubation to effectively be actioned. This project is funded as part of the Entrepreneurship and Access to Finance (a six-year effort) component of United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP) II (2020-2023) in Malawi.
Nature and Scope:
The Team Leader will lead the overall implementation of the project, managing a team of full-time staff and providing business management and incubation leadership.
The duties and responsibilities of the Team Leader include:
- Provide senior-level management of the project’s key components, including:
- Business Incubation Strengthening;
- Business Development Services Strengthening;
- TEVET graduates and MSE (potential and existing) Pre-Incubation, Incubation;
- Post-Incubation Support;
- Substantive Learning Agenda.
- Lead project management to make sure all project deliverables are met and reporting requirements are followed
- Record and track the performance of the selected ventures under the Entrepreneurship Challenges and will make recommendations on exiting non-viable investments
- Provide on a monthly basis a portfolio at risk management matrix throughout the implementation of the process
- Track fund utilization against budget and milestones achieved by individual ventures.
- Draw on expertise and experience with the incubation and business landscape in Malawi to create high-level strategies for business incubation strengthening, business development services strengthening, and pre-incubation, incubation, and post-incubation support to TVET graduates and MSEs
- Provide strategic leadership in project communications and sharing lessons learned, including studies on sustainable and accessible BDS provision and efficient and cost-effective incubation models
- Lead the fiduciary management of the project
- Lead monitoring and evaluation activities for the project
- Minimum of a post-graduate degree in the field of business, finance, economics or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in private sector development and/or business incubation, BDS, development finance or development projects
- At least 8 years of experience in Africa on similar assignments; experience in Malawi is an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to deliver sound quality assurance to technical inputs.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and motivate businesses operating in Africa and seeking out the business networks that will be employed for doing so.
- Knowledge and experience of working with the business incubation/BDS, inclusive markets approach (or similar, such as market systems approaches, or Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) to address market and government failures
- Business incubation and BDS management experience and track-record
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to create new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Demonstrated management capacity of complex private sector investment projects
- Ability to manage a team of dedicated full-time staff and selected mentors able to demonstrate the needed expertise and skills set out above.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Interested candidates should submit an application to [email protected] by December 1st, 2021. Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter which details why they are an ideal candidate (qualifications and experience). Please indicate “Team Leader” in the subject line.
Kindly note this employment opportunity is subject to a Request for Proposals by UNDP. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, consultants, representatives and partners correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!