POSITION TITLE: Volunteer Training & Administrative Officer
POSITION LOCATION: National Capital Region, Canada
REPORTS TO: Manager, Volunteer Mobilization
CONTRACT TERM: Indeterminate
EXPECTED START DATE: December, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 2, 2021
POSITION LEVEL: PRO 1 (47.800 to 56,400)
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC’s Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in developing countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people, especially young women and refugees. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, enterprises, women’s organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners for various durations of time. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Under the supervision of the Manager Volunteer Mobilization, the Volunteer Training and Administrative Officer, is responsible for the co-delivery of volunteer pre-departure training and for the administrative requirements for departing, on assignment and returning volunteers.
The Volunteer Training and Administrative Officer, works collaboratively with staff members in Canada and internationally to fulfil the training and administrative requirements of the Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) and WUSC bilateral projects.
Volunteer Training (50%)
In collaboration with the Senior Training Officer, Volunteer Mobilization:
- Support the design, development, organization, preparation, delivery and logistics of pre-departure training courses and activities for volunteers, online and in person, in both official languages.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of training delivery and training needs and adapt the training program to respond appropriately.
Volunteer Administration (50%):
In collaboration with the Administrative Officer, Volunteer Mobilization:
- Support volunteer administration including, but not limited to, drafting and amending contracts, obtaining necessary signatures, coordinating criminal record verification, medical, insurance, waivers and other documentation requirements, organizing travel (e.g. flights, visas), submitting requests for volunteers’ allowances, drafting administrative correspondence, following up with volunteers, and processing volunteers’ invoices and requests for reimbursements.
- Ensure all necessary documentation is completed, signed, and updated in volunteer personnel files, including maintenance of accurate data in Salesforce.
- Contribute to the development and revision of administrative content, tools, processes and systems.
Other related duties:
- Organize the logistics for in-person volunteer pre-departure training sessions and group debriefing workshops (travel arrangements, accommodation, meals, etc).
- Participate in the volunteer training sessions to provide information and answer questions regarding volunteer contracts and logistics for international travel.
- Process office supply orders and maintain inventory for the volunteer cooperation program team.
- As required, provide translation support and/or review of translated documentation support to ensure accuracy of translations.
- Provide cover to other staff as needed.
- Support with onboarding of new colleagues.
- Undertake specific additional responsibilities, as may be agreed upon with their Supervisor.
- Integrate gender equality and other inclusion considerations in all recruitment activities.
Qualifications and Competencies:
Education: University degree or college diploma in Human Resources, Adult Education, International Development, Business Administration, or a related discipline
Experience & Competencies
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in administrative support
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience in adult education, training or facilitation (virtual and in-person)
- Experience in coordinating logistics
- Knowledge of information technologies and databases
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, team player, strong intercultural communication
- Available to work the occasional weekend
- Enthusiastic, committed to learning, and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of gender equality and international volunteer cooperation
- Experience as an international volunteer or working in international development is an asset
Languages: Bilingual English/French (fluency essential).
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. Currently WUSC team members are working remotely.We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation. Click here to learn more about WUSC Top 100 Employers of National Capital Region 2021.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!