Position Title: Finance Manager
Position Location: Guyana
Reports to: Project Director – ENGAGE Guyana
Contract Term: 2 Year, Renewable
Application Deadline: 19 May 2022
Expected Start Date: June 2022
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of governments, civil society organizations, schools, training institutions, private sector partners, and volunteers who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada (GAC), the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
THE ENGAGE PROJECT
WUSC is currently initiating a new project in Guyana called Empowering the Next Generation: Agency and Gender Equality (ENGAGE Youth). The project aims to increase participation and inclusion of Guyana’s most remote, marginalized, and poorest populations in regions predominantly occupied by Indigenous people. Interventions will focus on marginalized indigenous populations, women and youth in Guyana and will include: providing opportunities to improve civic participation; increasing access to resources; and fostering more meaningful engagement in decision-making.
Reporting to the WUSC Guyana ENGAGE Project Director, and working in close collaboration with the Financial Analyst in WUSC Ottawa and the WUSC Caribbean Regional Finance Manager, the ENGAGE Finance Manager is responsible for the following:
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Accounting & Finance:
- Ensure that accurate and timely financial records and audit trails are established and maintained for project operations, including for its satellite offices;
- In coordination with the Regional Finance Manager, ensure compliance with the overarching regulatory and contractual obligations (e.g. financial, human resources and legal) of WUSC Guyana operations;
- Prepare board financial reports for the WUSC Caribbean Board of Directors;
- Support the Project Director and support staff in the preparation and monitoring of the Project Implementation Plan and Annual Work Plan budget for the lifetime of the project, as well as disbursement updates and forecasts as required for the donor;
- Ensure timely and complete budgeting processes are implemented, including variance analysis and guidance on managing the expenditures and managing the project cash flow;
- Ensure the reconciliation of bank accounts and the monthly closure of financial records are approved by the Project Director and sent to WUSC Ottawa;
- Allocate salaries and benefits expenses to appropriate funding codes;
- Review, develop and implement necessary improvements to financial controls, systems and policies of WUSC in financial management in Guyana with approval of WUSC headquarters;
- Regularly review and maintain the Financial Management Procedures Manual for Guyana, in coordination with the WUSC Caribbean team, and develop the forms and procedures needed for financial operations;
- Ensure that country office financial tools are in line with national laws, donor regulations, WUSC Caribbean policies, and WUSC institutional policies and manuals;
- Provide overall financial analysis, management advice and technical assistance to the project team and partner organizations, as required;
- Participate in financial monitoring of partner organizations; and
- Oversee foreign exchange transactions and accounting;
- Coordinate, facilitate and support internal and external audits.
Project Planning and Management:
- In close collaboration with the financial analysts at WUSC headquarters in Ottawa, provide the necessary support for the financial management of WUSC agreements with donors;
- Ensure that the Budget Variance Analysis (BVA) and Budget Finance Unit (BFU) and forecast processes are well in place for each project and implemented on a timely, quality and collaborative manner by Finance and Program Departments;
- On a monthly basis, compile the BFU and engage with Project Director, in analyzing the situation and propose corrective/reallocation measures if needed, and share with HQ Finance Analyst and Project Director;
- Lead the yearly budget planning process and provide advice to the Project Director and the program implementation team on defining the best allocation of the resources according to the developed work plan, through exhaustive and detailed budget and financial risks analysis and benefits;
- Take the lead in the design of new projects and proposals from a budget point of view in coordination with Project Director and the finance department in HQ; and
- Ensure head office and donor deadlines for financial reports are met.
- Ensure a good level of support for the development of a capacity building plan for WUSC and implementing partners’ team according to their needs;
- Prepare and conduct training/coaching according to the training needs identified, upon need; and
- Share feedback to the implementing partners reading areas of improvement and progress status.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A Master’s degree in Finance, or related field is preferable; Bachelor degree with extensive relevant experience accepted;
- Professional Financial/Accounting qualification (ACCA, CA or equivalent);
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience post qualification in accounting, management and monitoring, preferably with large international development program;
- Substantial experience (2 years or more) as supervisor of finance/administration staff highly desirable; and experience building capacity of staff in finance and accounting
- Experience with international donors’ grants financial and administrative management preferable; experience with Canadian Government development funding is an asset
- Knowledge of national financial and audit requirements in Guyana
- Proficient in Microsoft office packages, QuickBooks and other relevant software
- Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, control standards and the reporting requirements of major international donors;
- Ability to manage a financial/administration team across several sites and demonstrate leadership, versatility, and integrity;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills;
- Able to manage, guide and lead employees to ensure appropriate financial processes are being used;
- Strong understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles;
- Working knowledge of all statutory legislation and regulations;
- Availability to travel locally, regionally and internationally, sometimes on extended assignments and under challenging condition;
- Demonstrate commitment to gender equality and youth empowerment; and
- Complete fluency in English is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility, and we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is open to all suitably qualified CARICOM Nationals. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send your application to [email protected]. Please indicate “Finance Manager – ENGAGE Guyana” as the subject line of your email.
The Empowering the Next Generation: Agency and Gender Equality (ENGAGE Youth) Project is implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC) with funding support from the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!