Position title: Senior Business Development (BDS) Expert
Position location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Reports to: Team Leader
Duration: 35 months
Application deadline: December 1st, 2021
Pre-incubation, incubation and post incubation support to TEVET graduates and MSEs (potential and existing) in Malawi
The objective of the assignment is to devise a suitable technical support package comprising of tailored services to be delivered to existing incubators in Malawi, to existing BDS service providers, and to existing and potential entrepreneurs for business incubation to effectively be actioned. This project is funded as part of the Entrepreneurship and Access to Finance (a six-year effort) component of United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP) II (2020-2023) in Malawi.
Nature and Scope:
The Senior BDS Expert will examine the current BDS landscape in Malawi and support initiatives to foster the growth of these BDS providers.
The duties and responsibilities of the Senior Business Incubation Expert includes:
- Map existing Business Development Service Providers in Malawi and define a competitive positioning map and a KYC scorecard underpinning current customer satisfaction
- Identify areas of demand by entrepreneurs that remain unsatisfied by current BDS providers
- Professionalise entrepreneurship education and training to reflect best-practices in the field by developing a step-by-step guide to the full development of a contextualised step-by-step process manual on entrepreneurship development support from ideation to maturity, a manual of best practices drawn from international experiences in BDS service provision;
- Implement a standardisation of Entrepreneurship Education and Training across providers through developing a contextualised Training of Trainers curriculum/model in partnership with capacitated BDS providers and deliver Training of Trainers (ToT) to additional local BDS providers that can cater for both urban and rural MSEs (potential and existing)/TEVET graduates;
- Provide support to the newly created BDS umbrella body set-up, the Titukulane Trust
- Create an interface for BDS providers with the Incubation Platform
- Minimum of a post-graduate degree in the field of business, entrepreneurship, management and or finance
- At least 8 years of experience in demonstrating knowledge of Private Sector Development in Africa or other similar countries and in Malawi in particular.
- At least 6 years of Specialist knowledge in the:
- preparation of strategic plans, sustainability plans, business plans
- Strong track-record of engagement with BDS, businesses in general and knowledge of business dynamics
- Experience in monitoring complex BDS projects
- Experience in collecting meaningful data from the BDS providers in portfolio
- Ability to prepare progress reports, and support to knowledge management and learning
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Interested candidates should submit an application to [email protected] by December 1st, 2021. Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter which details why they are an ideal candidate (qualifications and experience). Please indicate “Senior BDS Expert” in the subject line.
Kindly note this employment opportunity is subject to a Request for Proposals by UNDP. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, consultants, representatives and partners correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!