Position title: Senior Business Expert
Position location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Reports to: Team Leader
Duration: 35 months
Application deadline: December 1st, 2021
Pre-incubation, incubation and post incubation support to TEVET graduates and MSEs (potential and existing) in Malawi
The objective of the assignment is to devise a suitable technical support package comprising of tailored services to be delivered to existing incubators in Malawi, to existing BDS service providers, and to existing and potential entrepreneurs for business incubation to effectively be actioned. This project is funded as part of the Entrepreneurship and Access to Finance (a six-year effort) component of United Nations Development Programme’s (UNDP) Private Sector Development Programme (PSDP) II (2020-2023) in Malawi.
Nature and Scope:
The Senior Business Expert will provide business development support, including grants management and monitoring and evaluation support.
The duties and responsibilities of the Senior Business Expert include:
- Map and select technical colleges and universities that have a critical mass in terms of enrollment, graduation rates, and, most importantly, demand for pre-incubation / post-incubation services
- Develop the application package to include application templates, eligibility criteria, selection methodology to access the pre-incubation, incubation, and post-incubation support, targeting TEVET graduates and MSEs (potential and existing)
- Develop the “service offering package” that will be delivered by the BDS and BIs and including for example feasibility assessment criteria of the proposed business idea; entrepreneurship trainings to be practical and experiential, expert Counselling and pre-incubation business advice; Market assessments and business planning; entrepreneur peer-to-peer support and coaching and mentoring
- Develop a grant manual that will provide the eligibility criteria for accessing the grant, the application process and the eligible costs related to the different stages of incubation
- Develop guidelines for the selection of existing businesses operating in the informal sector that are eligible to benefit from this initiative by formalizing and accessing support
- Minimum of a post-graduate degree in the field of business, entrepreneurship, finance or a related field.
- At least 8 years of experience demonstrating knowledge of private sector development in Africa or other similar countries and in Malawi in particular;
- At Least 6 years of specialist knowledge in:
- Business incubation, pre- and post-incubation and direct engagement of start-ups;
- Grant mechanisms;
- Social or financial fund management, matching grant schemes;
- Strong track-record of engagement with businesses and knowledge of business dynamics;
- Experience in the preparation of milestone verification reports and in monitoring complex investment projects;
- Experience in collecting meaningful data from the projects in the investment portfolio;
- Ability to prepare progress reports, and support knowledge management and learning;
- Understanding of private sector dynamics in Malawi or other similar countries and grant finance mechanisms.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Interested candidates should submit an application to [email protected] by December 1st, 2021. Candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter which details why they are an ideal candidate (qualifications and experience). Please indicate “Senior Business Expert” in the subject line.
Kindly note this employment opportunity is subject to a Request for Proposals by UNDP. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, consultants, representatives and partners correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!