- Assignment Type:
- Canadian International Volunteer
- Eligibility Requirements:
- Open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada only
- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Agri-Business and Marketing Officer
- WUSC Caribbean
- 6 to 12 months (flexible)
- Time Commitment:
- 35 hours per week
Are you passionate about climate resilient agriculture and equitable economic growth? Do you have skills promoting the development of micro and small enterprises to share?
As the Agri-Business and Marketing Officer, you will work with WUSC Caribbean staff in Guyana to support and strengthen women and youth in agricultural markets.
Apply today to make an impact in increase equitable, inclusive and sustainable economic benefits for Caribbean women and youth!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Research the economically feasible sectors and sub-sectors, Identify those sectors and sub-sectors with higher growth potential and with a clear definition of the level of micro and small enterprises participation
- Assess digital savvy of micro and small enterprises within the area of coverage i.e. online presence (social media, online directories, email, and websites), participation in digital online markets, adoption of digital payment services for clients and suppliers
- Research the opportunities and challenges to position micro and small enterprises to better access markets (initially local, and possibly regional and international)
- Assess whether micro and small enterprises face restricted access to any financial services from the Small Business Bureau, under what circumstances such barriers are placed and whether these differ by sector, service, or client type
- Provide specific, relevant, updated detailed and reliable recommendations for areas of business enterprise in Guyana, which should be selected, strengthened, or diversified. This will have a specific focus on the creation of value-added products
- Facilitate training to build the capacity of staff and clients to execute similar market research of micro and small enterprises in Guyana
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment. Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals
- Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
Experience and Qualifications
- An advanced Degree in Development Studies/Business Management/or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in livelihoods programming, economic development, private sector development, monitoring, quality control and capacity building
- A demonstrated understanding and analytical capacity in the identification of issues relating to indicators of performance in development projects
- Excellent report writing skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in participatory qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Experience living and working internationally considered an asset.
The Sustainable Agriculture in the Caribbean (SAC) project promotes climate resilient agriculture for equitable economic growth. It aims to increase the economic prosperity of women and youth (female and male) in more sustainable agricultural markets in the Caribbean. The SAC project will engage in agricultural market systems and will work with all market actors to address gaps and barriers (particularly those facing women and youth) and will facilitate the provision of capacity strengthening support for all actors in the market systems. The SAC project is being implemented in Dominica, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, and Suriname.The Small Business Bureau is a Subvention Agency of the Ministry of Tourism, Industry, and Commerce, Guyana. All operations and programmes are funded by the Government, with the aim of strengthening and building the capacity of the small business sector. The overall aim is to create jobs and contribute to the economic diversification of the country’s economy. The mandate of the Small Business Bureau is to promote and support small business development in Guyana through targeted programmes, access to finance, and policy recommendations, thereby supporting the development of micro and small enterprises.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Volunteer Mobilization Team prior to departure and from WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Pre-departure training to learn about the volunteering for development program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and network with other volunteers
- Travel, meals and accommodation during in-person pre-departure training
- In-country orientation upon arrival in country of assignment
- Language training in country of assignment, where required
- Modest monthly living and accommodation allowance
- Airfare to and from the assignment country
- Visa/work permit
- Pre-departure medical exam
- Health insurance
- Vaccinations and antimalarial medication
- COVID-19 PCR testing
- Criminal record verification
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Debriefing after completion of assignment
- Support for accompanying spouse and dependents for assignments of 12 months or longer
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International and national volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
Reprise des départs de volontaires internationauxNous avons besoin de votre soutien au renforcement des capacités visant à créer des économies plus résilientes et plus inclusives maintenant plus que jamais! Après une interruption des voyages perdurant depuis mars 2020, les départs de volontaires internationaux vers l'Afrique, l'Asie et les Caraïbes ont repris. Toutes les personnes qui envisagent de devenir volontaires à l’étranger avec l’EUMC doivent faire preuve d’ouverture d’esprit et de flexibilité, et accepter de remplir les conditions suivantes :
- avoir reçu une vaccination complète contre la COVID-19 et être en mesure de fournir une preuve de leur vaccination;
- respecter les exigences du gouvernement canadien et du pays d’affectation, ainsi que celles des compagnies aériennes en ce qui concerne les tests de réaction en chaîne de la polymérase (PCR);
- accepter de respecter toutes les directives visant à atténuer la propagation de la COVID-19 émises par le gouvernement canadien, l’EUMC et les autorités locales du pays d’affectation.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!