In Ghana, WUSC programming focuses on strengthening the capacity of partner organizations in the Greater Accra Region. This region is experiencing fast population growth and the emergence of new peri-urban areas. This trend presents both opportunities and challenges to youth economic empowerment, as many young women are not well equipped with the skills and knowledge to engage with burgeoning economic opportunities. WUSC volunteers working in a variety of roles will support partner organizations such as Council for Technical and Vocational Educational Training (COTVET), Savanna Institute for Innovative Finance (SAIIF), Association of Building & Civil Engineers of Ghana (ABCDGE), and Artisanal Association of Ghana (AAG) to address these challenges and opportunities in Ghana.
ASSIGNMENT CONTEXT:The Communications Advisor will contribute to building the capacity of WUSC partner organizations by strengthening their knowledge of communication strategies in planning, website design, and social media management, according to the needs, capacities and strategies of the organization. In some cases, they will also contribute to the collective communications efforts that bring together multiple organizations and partners to engage in thematic communications and campaigns that forward their joint strategic goals in common with WUSC.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES COULD INCLUDE:
- Work with the partner organization to conduct a communications needs assessment;
- Guide the development of gender-and-age-inclusive communications strategies and work plans;
- Support in the development of promotional material templates (e.g. brochures, flyers);
- Guide the development and design of websites, sharing best practices for low-bandwidth environments, based on partner needs;
- Guide the development of digital engagement and content, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, WhatsApp, blogs, and emails, based on partner needs;
- Organize and deliver trainings for program partners on relevant communications topics;
- Develop guides and tip-sheets on best practices for relevant communications topics;
- Guide the monitoring of partner communications reach and impact, and suggest areas for adaptation in existing strategies and work plans;
- Provide ongoing coaching and mentorship on the implementation of partner communications strategies and work plans;
- Identify and document stories from partners and volunteers about their work and impact, in collaboration with the in-country volunteer cooperation program team;
- Support program staff and volunteer with communications, as needed
- Volunteers are required to undertake public engagement and fundraising activities before, during, and after their volunteer assignment and will be equipped with tools, training, and one-on-one support to achieve these goals;
- Ensure the representation and engagement of women in all activities and program benefits; and
- Write reports as required by the program.
- Degree and/or formal training in communications, public relations, or a related field
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies and work plans
- Knowledge of social media tools, trends, and best practices essential, particularly Facebook
- Experience with digital design tools, particularly knowledge of website design and content publishing
- Experience in video production and photography an asset
- A curious and creative self-starter who can seize emerging communications opportunities and engage diverse populations in story development.
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English
- Experience living and working internationally is a strong asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers
- Travel, meals and accommodation are covered
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country
- Language training in-country where required
- Return flights, visas and work permits
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials
- Health insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas
- Accommodation while overseas
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment
- Travel, meals and accommodation are covered
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!
Votre travail de renforcement des capacités vers des économies plus résilientes et inclusives est plus que jamais nécessaire! Bien que nous ayons temporairement fermé nos bureaux à l'échelle mondiale, l'EUMC continue de travailler avec nos partenaires à travers le monde, y compris le soutien de nos volontaires en ligne résidants au Canada. Vous pouvez travailler à distance de votre table de cuisine tout en ayant un impact grâce au nouveau programme de volontariat en ligne de l'EUMC!
Si vous êtes intéressés à faire du volontariat à l'international avec nous, nous voulons quand même vous entendre! Nous continuons à recruter des volontaires pour des postes à l'international, bien que les départs soient temporairement en attente. Nous n’enverrons pas de volontaires à l’étranger tant que nous ne sommes pas convaincus qu'il est sécuritaire de le faire.