- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Software Developer Advisor (E-Volunteer)
- Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement
- Sri Lanka
- 4 months (with possibility of extension)
- Time Commitment:
- 5-35 hours per week (flexible)
Are you passionate about gender equality and social inclusion? Do you have web development skills to share?
Sarvodaya is looking for a web developer to support the coding, innovative design and layout of Sarvodaya’s online monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system to improve the organization’s ability to measure and communicate its impact in gender equality and social inclusion in Sri Lanka.
Apply today and make an impact on gender equality in Sri Lanka!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Review the current system in place for program and project monitoring and evaluation
- Support customization of Kobol tool kit a visually appealing online monitoring and evaluation system that features user-friendly design and clear navigation
- Develop a training module for the online monitoring and evaluation system and conduct training for program staff
- Assist program staff in launching the new online monitoring and evaluation system
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment
- Set up a personalized volunteer fundraising page on the WUSC fundraising platform and share it in your networks. Volunteers will be supported with the tools, training and support to achieve the fundraising goal.
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits.
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree and/or training in computer science or software engineering, development studies, or a related field
- Experience in design and development of web-based applications
- Skill in web programming and thorough knowledge of web-based tools and applications
- Skills in assessment, monitoring and evaluation, development an asset
- Ability to work independently as part of a remote working group
- Comfortable using online working platforms
- Access to a reliable internet connection
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English
- Experience living and working internationally is a strong asset.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. The IGNI+E project, funded by Global Affairs Canada, supports over 70 partner organizations to advance gender equality and the economic empowerment of 1.2 million youth around the world. IGNI+E harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled Canadians through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalised youth, particularly young women. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Founded in 1958, the Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement is one of the largest and established NGOs in Sri Lanka which is dedicated to gender equality and social inclusion. The organization has a variety of units that actively support Sri Lanka’s development in areas including market and economic development, community health, disaster response and preparedness, political advocacy, childhood development and international relations.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Volunteer Mobilization Team prior to assignment and from the WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Re-assignment training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for e-volunteering in an intercultural context and meet other e-volunteers
- Country orientation to better understand the cultural context of the country
- E-volunteers who contribute a minimum of 21 hours per week are eligible to receive an allowance of $35 CAD per day, up to a maximum of $700 CAD per month. This allowance is taxable income.
- Debriefing after completion of assignment
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
Reprise des départs de volontaires internationaux
Nous avons besoin de votre soutien au renforcement des capacités visant à créer des économies plus résilientes et plus inclusives maintenant plus que jamais! Après une interruption des voyages perdurant depuis mars 2020, les départs de volontaires internationaux vers l'Afrique, l'Asie et les Caraïbes ont repris grâce à la levée de la restriction canadienne sur les voyages non essentiels : https://voyage.gc.ca/voyager/avertissements
Toutes les personnes qui envisagent de devenir volontaires à l’étranger avec l’EUMC doivent faire preuve d’ouverture d’esprit et de flexibilité, et accepter de remplir les conditions suivantes :
- avoir reçu une vaccination complète (deux doses de vaccin) contre la COVID-19 et être en mesure de fournir une preuve de leur vaccination;
- respecter les exigences du gouvernement canadien et du pays d’affectation, ainsi que celles des compagnies aériennes en ce qui concerne les tests de réaction en chaîne de la polymérase (PCR);
- accepter de respecter toutes les directives visant à atténuer la propagation de la COVID-19 émises par le gouvernement canadien, l’EUMC et les autorités locales du pays d’affectation.
Consultez les possibilités de volontariat international ci-dessous et cliquez ici pour lire notre FAQ sur le volontariat international.
L'EUMC continue également de collaborer avec ses partenaires partout dans le monde grâce au soutien de volontaires en ligne résidant au Canada. En tant que volontaire en ligne, vous pouvez travailler à distance de votre table de cuisine et avoir un impact grâce au programme de volontariat en ligne de l'EUMC! Consultez les possibilités de volontariat en ligne ci-dessous et cliquez ici pour lire notre FAQ sur le volontariat en ligne.
Connaissez-vous quelqu’un qui serait parfait pour cette opportunité ? S’il vous plaît partagez!