Title: Business Incubator Advisor (E-volunteer)
Partner Name: Lanka Social Ventures (LSV)
E-volunteer Location: Remote
Partner Location: Sri Lanka
Duration: 4-5 months (flexible)
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per week (flexible)
Context for the Assignment:Do you have business incubation and venture building experience as well as a passion to support Sri Lankan entrepreneurs? If so, this might be the role for you!
As the Business Incubator Advisor you will support the development of the “EMPOWER IMPACT HUB” Business Incubator and Accelerator which supports startups and entrepreneurs at all stages – particularly early- stage, innovative high-growth enterprises with social and environmental missions. The “Empower Impact Hub” is part of Lanka Social Ventures, which provides research and business consulting services and training for socially and environmentally responsible entrepreneurs.
Apply to this position and support entrepreneurs in Sri Lanka!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide and support the development of a work plan for the design and delivery of the business support services as well as monitoring and evaluation tools to assess its impact and effectiveness
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, partners and clients to develop and deliver generic and tailor-made venture creation and building programmes as well as a supportive mentorship programme
- Support staff in identifying funding sources and funding proposals
- Support the development of programme manuals, learning materials and other business support tools whilst sharing best practices, policies and procedures
- Support the design of digital tools to deliver online business advice and coaching for entrepreneurs
- In collaboration with staff, assist in developing the contents for the website and social media channels (e.g. programme details, features and impact story)
- Participate in pre-assignment online training
- Undertake public engagement and fundraising activities before, during, and after your volunteer assignment. You will be equipped with tools, training, and support to achieve these goals
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits
- Co-develop an e-volunteer work plan with the partner organization and country office using the WUSC volunteer work plan template
- Participate in organizational and project improvement activities such as surveys, assessments and learning/planning sessions
- Submit volunteer timesheets, reports and deliverables as required by the partner organization and WUSC.
- Degree and/or training in business management, finance, marketing or a related field
- Experience in enterprise/entrepreneurship development, business incubation, venture creation, start-up building or related experience
- A good understanding of social enterprises and how they operate is considered an asset
- Ability to work independently as part of a remote working group
- Comfortable using online working platforms
- Access to a reliable internet connection
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English
- Experience living and working internationally is a strong asset.
Lanka Social Ventures (LSV) has a mission to promote and support entrepreneurship and innovation for social change and environmental sustainability in Sri Lanka. LSV supports entrepreneurial and innovative individuals, groups, community organisations and SMEs to develop and transform into successful and financially sustainable ‘social enterprises’. Lanka Social Ventures believes that, if nurtured correctly, social entrepreneurs can lead social change by stimulating local economic growth, innovation, and the development of social capital.
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy:
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form.
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! Though we have temporarily closed our offices globally, WUSC continues to work with our partners around the world, including through the support of e-volunteers residing in Canada. You can work remotely from your kitchen table and still make an impact through WUSC’s NEW e-volunteering program! See available e-volunteer opportunities below and click here for our e-volunteer FAQ.
We are also currently recruiting people with Canadian citizenship or permanent residence status - or people with citizenship or permanent residence status in countries in Africa or Asia - who are presently living in Ghana, Uganda, Kenya, Malawi, Sri Lanka or Vietnam. If this is your case, apply today specifying your current country of residence.
International Departures - On Hold
If you are currently residing in Canada and interested in volunteering internationally with us, we still want to hear from you! We are continuing to recruit for open international volunteer positions, though departures are on hold until September 2021. We will not send international volunteers until we are fully confident that it is safe to do so.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!