- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Communication and Digital Media Advisor (E-Volunteer)
- Lanka Social Ventures (pvt) Ltd (LSV)
- Sri Lanka
- 4 months (with the possibility of extension)
- Time Commitment:
- 5 to 35 hours per week (flexible)
- Volunteer Location:
Do you have experience in communications? Are you passionate about gender equality and economic opportunities for all? If so, this might be the role for you!
As the Communication and Digital Media Advisor (E-volunteer) you will support Lanka Social Ventures (LSV) in developing communications messages for their new e-platform which promotes products made by small scale social entrepreneurs. Lanka Social Ventures runs a Social Enterprise Incubator and Acceleration Program in Sri Lanka.
Apply now and support youth and women in economic development in Sri Lanka!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and develop brochures to publicize the organization's training programmes which promote social enterprises
- Collaborate with team members to capture stories on a range of topics including social enterprises, products, local producers, environmental sustainability, ethical practices and the engagement of youth and women in entrepreneurship
- Conduct storytelling workshops
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment
- Set up a personalized volunteer fundraising page on the WUSC fundraising platform and share it in your networks. Volunteers will be supported with the tools, training and support to achieve the fundraising goal.
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits.
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree and/or training in Communications, Digital Marketing or a related field
- Experience in Communications, Digital Marketing or related experience
- Ability to work independently as part of a remote working group
- Comfortable using online working platforms
- Access to a reliable internet connection
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English
- Experience living and working internationally is a strong asset.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. The IGNI+E project, funded by Global Affairs Canada, supports over 70 partner organizations to advance gender equality and the economic empowerment of 1.2 million youth around the world. IGNI+E harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled Canadians through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalised youth, particularly young women. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Lanka Social Ventures (LSV) is a ‘social enterprise’ which was set up based on the recommendations of a research commissioned by Oxfam Great Britain to map social enterprises within the agriculture sector, and to identify the key challenges they face. LSV makes suggestions for donors and development agencies looking to support this space in Sri Lanka. LSV’s mission is to promote and support entrepreneurship and innovation for social change and environmental sustainability. The organization supports entrepreneurial and innovative individuals, groups, community organizations and SMEs to develop and transform into successful and financially sustainable ‘social enterprises’.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Volunteer Mobilization Team prior to assignment and from the WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Re-assignment training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for e-volunteering in an intercultural context and meet other e-volunteers
- Country orientation to better understand the cultural context of the country
- E-volunteers who contribute a minimum of 21 hours per week are eligible to receive an allowance of $35 CAD per day, up to a maximum of $700 CAD per month. This allowance is taxable income.
- Debriefing after completion of assignment
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
International Volunteer Departures Have Resumed
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! After a pause on travel since March 2020, international volunteer departures to Africa, Asia and the Caribbean have resumed with the lifting of Canada’s non-essential travel restriction: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
All individuals considering volunteering internationally with WUSC must demonstrate openness, flexibility and accept to meeting the following conditions:
- Volunteers must be fully vaccinated (two vaccine doses) against COVID-19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination.
- Volunteers must meet Canadian and Assignment Country Government and airline requirements related to PCR testing.
- Volunteers must agree to follow all COVID-19 mitigation instructions as issued by the Canadian Government, WUSC and by the local authorities in the country of assignment.
See available international opportunities below and click here for our international volunteer FAQ.
WUSC continues to work with our partners around the world through the support of e-volunteers residing in Canada as well. As an e-volunteer, you can work remotely from your kitchen table and still make an impact through WUSC’s e-volunteering program! See available e-volunteer opportunities below and click here for our e-volunteer FAQ.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!