Title: Communications Advisor (E-volunteer)
Partner Name: Akili Dada
E-volunteer Location: Canada
Partner Location: Kenya
Duration: 4 months
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per week (flexible)
Context for the Assignment:
Are you passionate about women’s empowerment? Do you have communications skills to share?
As the Communications Advisor (E-volunteer) with Akili Dada based in Kenya, you will support the development of a communication strategy and marketing plan to promote their products and services. You will also support Akili Dada in building a knowledge base for their advocacy efforts.
You will also support Akili Dada to address the technology gaps that have negatively impacted girls and young women who aren’t able to access online educational content. This is an urgent need as schools in Kenya are closed and programs have been reconfigured to suit the current context.
Apply today to make an impact on the lives of girls and young women in Kenya!
- In collaboration with Akili Dada, conduct a communication and advocacy needs assessment;
- Guide the development of a communication strategy and work plans;
- Support the development of communication materials, channels and tools;
- Support the design of fact sheets and infographics;
- Develop digital marketing strategies and processes for Akili Dada services and programs;
- Support staff training on new and existing digital engagement platforms and content development;
- Create content and develop Akili Dada’s website and social media platforms;
- Identify and document success stories;
- Participate in pre-assignment online training;
- Undertake public engagement and fundraising activities before, during, and after your volunteer assignment. You will be equipped with tools, training, and support to achieve these goals;
- Ensure the representation and engagement of women in all activities and program benefits;
- Co-develop an e-volunteer work plan with the partner organization and country office using WUSC volunteer work plan template;
- Participate in organizational and project improvement activities such as surveys, assessments and learning/planning sessions;
- Submit volunteer timesheets, reports and deliverables as required by the partner organization and WUSC.
- Degree and/or training in Communications, Journalism, Social Sciences, International Relations or a related field;
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies and work plans;
- Knowledge of social media tools (particularly Facebook), trends, and best practices essential;
- Experience with digital design tools, particularly knowledge of website design and content publishing;
- Experience in advocacy work, mentorship training and coaching skills an asset;
- Ability to work independently as part of a remote working group;
- Comfortable using online working platforms;
- Access to a reliable internet connection;
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering;
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development;
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity;
- Written and oral fluency in English;
- Experience living and working internationally is a strong asset.
Akili Dada is an international award-winning leadership incubator whose vision is to live in a world in which African women leaders are actively participating in key decision-making processes across sectors. Their mission is to nurture transformative leadership in girls and young women from underserved backgrounds to meet the urgent need for more African women in leadership. Akili Dada provides financial support to girls and young women from under-served populations, incubates female leaders through capacity building, engages in advocacy, networking and mentorship activities.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Akili Dada’s focus was supporting girls and young women from under-served populations by incubating female leaders through capacity building, engaging in advocacy activities, providing financial support, networking and mentorship. In the current COVID-19 context, Akili Dada is delivering education modules online, conducting online curriculum development, online mentoring and advocacy.
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy:
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! Though we have temporarily closed our offices globally, WUSC continues to work with our partners around the world, including through the support of e-volunteers residing in Canada. You can work remotely from your kitchen table and still make an impact through WUSC’s NEW e-volunteering program! See available opportunities below.
If you are interested in volunteering internationally with us, we still want to hear from you. We are continuing to recruit for open international volunteer positions, though departures are on hold. We will not place volunteers internationally until we are fully confident that it is safe to do so.