- Assignment Type:
- Canadian International Volunteer
- Eligibility Requirements:
- Open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada only
- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Communications & Visibility Advisor
- Tea Association of Malawi Limited
- 6 to 12 months (flexible)
- Time Commitment:
Are you passionate about communications and advancing organizational visibility? Do you have communications strategies and tools development skills to share?
As the Communications & Visibility Advisor with Tea Association of Malawi, you will work to increase the visibility of the Tea sector gender mainstreaming program and develop communications tools to enable the Tea Estates to communicate effectively with all program stakeholders.
Apply today to make an impact in the empowerment of women in the Malawi Tea sector!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with staff in developing and improving communication tools
- Support in developing communication materials such as newsletters, blog posts and success stories on projects for publication
- Review and improve current social media strategy and support all social media communication
- Guide the monitoring of communications reach and impact, and suggest areas for adaptation in existing strategies and work plans
- Assist Tea Association of Malawi to conduct a content review of the organization’s website, develop a workplan for content revisions and support in improving website content (ie. success stories, photos, videos)
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all communication activities and women stories are highlighted
- Ensure an environmental and sustainability climate action lens is applied developing success stories and website updates
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment. Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree and/or formal training in communications, public relations, digital marketing, or other related fields
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing communications strategies and work plans
- Knowledge of digital communications marketing, social media tools, trends, and best practices is essential
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and volunteering
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. The IGNI+E project, funded by Global Affairs Canada, supports over 70 partner organizations to advance gender equality and the economic empowerment of 1.2 million youth around the world. IGNI+E harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled Canadians through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalised youth, particularly young women. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
The Tea Association of Malawi (Ltd) is the representative body of all tea estates, tea companies, producers and processors, and it represents the interests of tea growers and producers in Malawi. Responsible for promoting all aspects of the tea industry and addressing all matters of potential concern by coordinating and communicating the interests of the Tea Industry in Malawi’s economy and maintains linkages with national and international associations.The Tea Association also disseminates information and assists members in answering questions about the industry and in working out any problems that they may encounter. Membership affords the opportunity to keep abreast of the latest tea trends and keep up-to-date on important governmental matters. To enable sustainable growth of the Malawian tea market as a whole, while guiding our membership through an ever changing external environment; it has created practices and mechanisms for issues relating to hired labor and smallholders that have significantly improved the terms and conditions on which the estate sector engages with both groups.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Volunteer Mobilization Team prior to departure and from WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Pre-departure training to learn about the volunteering for development program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and network with other volunteers
- In-country orientation upon arrival in country of assignment
- Language training in country of assignment, where required
- Modest monthly living and accommodation allowance
- Airfare to and from the assignment country
- Visa/work permit
- Pre-departure medical exam
- Health insurance
- Vaccinations and antimalarial medication
- COVID-19 PCR testing
- Criminal record verification
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Debriefing after completion of assignment
- Support for accompanying spouse and dependents for assignments of 12 months or longer
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International and national volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
International Volunteer Departures Have Resumed
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! After a pause on travel since March 2020, international volunteer departures to Africa, Asia and the Caribbean have resumed.
All individuals considering volunteering internationally with WUSC must demonstrate openness, flexibility and accept to meeting the following conditions:
- Volunteers must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination.
- Volunteers must meet Canadian and Assignment Country Government and airline requirements related to PCR testing.
- Volunteers must agree to follow all COVID-19 mitigation instructions as issued by the Canadian Government, WUSC and by the local authorities in the country of assignment.
See available international opportunities below and click here for our international volunteer FAQ.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!