- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Fundraising Advisor
- Lanka Jathika Sarvodaya Shramadana Sangamaya (Inc.)
- Sri Lanka
- 6 to 12 months (flexible)
- Time Commitment:
- 35 hours per week
Do you have fundraising experience and a passion about gender equality and economic opportunities for all? If so, this might be the role for you!
As the Fundraising Advisor you will support Sarvodaya with proposal writing and preparing grant budgets, according to the needs, capacities and strategies of the organization. You will support Sarvodaya in fundraising and proposals for the launch of new programs and/or campaigns.
Apply to this position and support gender equality and social inclusion in Sri Lanka!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support an organization wide fundraising needs assessment
- Develop a training module on proposal writing, including designing the monitoring and evaluation framework and budgets
- In collaboration with staff, support the development and launch of a new program proposal
- Develop a set of guidelines and tip-sheets on best practices for putting together grant pitches
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment. Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment.
- Set up a personalized volunteer fundraising page on the WUSC fundraising platform and share it in your networks. Volunteers will be supported with the tools, training and support to achieve the fundraising goal.
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities.
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits.
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree and/or training International Studies, Social Science or a related field
- Experience developing grant proposals for non-profits/ NGOs
- Strong analytical skills and capacity to translate complex concepts into program design/ models
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),Gender, Entrepreneurship and Social Change considered an asset
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering.
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development considered an asset
- Experience living and working internationally considered an asset.
- Written and oral fluency in English.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. The IGNI+E project, funded by Global Affairs Canada, supports over 70 partner organizations to advance gender equality and the economic empowerment of 1.2 million youth around the world. IGNI+E harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled Canadians through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalised youth, particularly young women. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Sarvodaya is Sri Lankas most broadly embedded community-based development organization network. Sarvodaya works with 25 district centres, 325 divisional centres and over 3,000 legally independent village societies in districts across the country, including the northern and eastern provinces. Key programmes include income generation, microfinance, youth programs, and internally displaced youth.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Volunteer Mobilization Team prior to departure and from WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Pre-departure training to learn about the volunteering for development program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and network with other volunteers
- Travel, meals and accommodation during in-person pre-departure training
- In-country orientation upon arrival in country of assignment
- Language training in country of assignment, where required
- Modest monthly living and accommodation allowance
- Airfare to and from the assignment country
- Visa/work permit
- Pre-departure medical exam
- Health insurance
- Vaccinations and antimalarial medication
- COVID-19 PCR testing
- Criminal record verification
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Debriefing after completion of assignment
- Support for accompanying spouse and dependents for assignments of 12 months or longer
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
International Volunteer Departures Have Resumed
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! After a pause on travel since March 2020, international volunteer departures to Africa, Asia and the Caribbean have resumed with the lifting of Canada’s non-essential travel restriction: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
All individuals considering volunteering internationally with WUSC must demonstrate openness, flexibility and accept to meeting the following conditions:
- Volunteers must be fully vaccinated (two vaccine doses) against COVID-19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination.
- Volunteers must meet Canadian and Assignment Country Government and airline requirements related to PCR testing.
- Volunteers must agree to follow all COVID-19 mitigation instructions as issued by the Canadian Government, WUSC and by the local authorities in the country of assignment.
See available international opportunities below and click here for our international volunteer FAQ.
WUSC continues to work with our partners around the world through the support of e-volunteers residing in Canada as well. As an e-volunteer, you can work remotely from your kitchen table and still make an impact through WUSC’s e-volunteering program! See available e-volunteer opportunities below and click here for our e-volunteer FAQ.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!