- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Gender Equality Advisor
- WUSC Jordan
- 3-8 months
- Time Commitment:
- 35 hours per week
- Residing in the country of assignment (Jordan)
- A permanent resident or citizen of Canada
Are you passionate about gender equality? Do you have gender programming, gender implementation, or other gender equality skills to share?
As the Gender Equality Advisor with the WUSC Jordan Country Office in Amman, Jordan, you will work with the Gender Equality Specialist to support in mainstreaming, refining, and implementing a Gender Strategy for the WE LEAD project. In this role you will work in collaboration with the project team to integrate gender equality into all project activities. The Gender Equality Advisor will also develop tools and resources, and conduct training and coaching for project staff, partners and volunteers to enable them to contribute to the project’s gender equality and empowerment goals.
Apply today and share your skills to make an impact on gender equality in Jordan!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of gender equality and gender mainstreaming initiatives and knowledge sharing for WUSC Jordan staff and relevant stakeholders
- Work closely with the project team and partners’ staff to integrate gender equality into project and work plans, capacity-building plans, gender budgeting, gender audits, and management approaches, and propose strategies to increase project impact on gender equality
- Design and deliver training sessions on gender equality, women’s economic empowerment, and feminist approaches to development to WUSC staff, volunteers, and partner organizations
- Collaborate with local partners to develop strategies and tools to increase the participation of young women in the workforce
- Facilitate the use of gender equality data to promote evidence-based learning, reflection and decision-making within the project
- Participate in WUSC Jordan’s communications work by providing data, information, and other material for use in external communications
- Review and provide technical feedback on results and project reports in order to ensure quality and full compliance with gender policy and progress towards achieving integration of gender equality in the project
- Participate in gender equality related working groups and maintain close working relationships with counterparts in other relevant international NGOs in Jordan
- Participate in pre-assignment online training
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activitiesParticipate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment. Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits.
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the Country Director.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree and/or formal training in gender or women’s studies, social sciences, or other relevant field, or equivalent coursework in gender equality and women’s rights
- Demonstrated experience in gender equality activities, inclusive of education, women’s economic empowerment, or otherwise; ideal candidate will have both theoretical and practical background in gender equality and skilled in gender equality analysis and methodologies
- Some technical experience in WE LEAD’s areas of activities: inclusive education, women’s economic empowerment, vocational training, private sector, community awareness
- Knowledge of accountability, protection, women and children’s rights frameworks and best practices
- Proven experience in gender sensitive communications development, with gender based violence (GBV) and sexual harassment
- Excellent judgment, problem-solving, analytical, and research skills
- Proven ability to work productively with a variety of stakeholders to run participatory processes and meet tight deadlines with an emphasis on producing quality products
- Excellent capacity building skills, with demonstrated experience in effective training, coaching and facilitation
- Experience working or volunteering in the Middle East an advantage
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Flexibility, adaptability, resilience, self-awareness, confidence, ability to work well in a team, interpersonal skills, communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential; working knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) and its consortium partner, Canadian Leaders in International Consulting (CLIC), are implementing the Women’s Economic Linkages and Employment Development (WE LEAD) project in Jordan. WE LEAD, a project funded by Global Affairs Canada, aims to increase women’s empowerment for sustainable economic growth. This is achieved through activities focused on increasing women’s employment opportunities through targeted market-driven, gender-sensitive training programs, while also addressing three key barriers to women’s participation in the workforce: the provision of affordable childcare, safe transportation, and social norms.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Volunteer Mobilization Team prior to departure and from WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers
- Travel, meals and accommodation are covered during in-person pre-departure
- In-country orientation upon arrival in country of assignment
- Language training in country of assignment, where required
- Airfare to and from country of assignment
- Support from the WUSC Administrative Officer for all relevant visas and work permits
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials
- Health insurance
- Modest monthly living and accommodation allowance while in country of assignment
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Return debriefing after completion of assignment
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! WUSC continues to work with our partners around the world through the support of e-volunteers residing in Canada and through the support of Canadians and other expatriates currently residing in Ghana, Uganda, Jordan, Kenya, Malawi, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
If you are currently residing in one of these countries and hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residence status – or hold citizenship or permanent residence status in countries in Africa or Asia – apply today to one of our international volunteer postings or to the general application form! Please specify your current country of residence in your application.
As an e-volunteer, you can work remotely from your kitchen table and still make an impact through WUSC’s e-volunteering program! See available e-volunteer opportunities below and click here for our e-volunteer FAQ.
International Departures – On Hold
If you are currently residing in Canada and interested in volunteering internationally with us, we still want to hear from you! We are continuing to recruit for international volunteer positions, though departures are on hold until September 2021. This date is subject to change. We will not send international volunteers until we are fully confident that it is safe to do so.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!