- Assignment Type:
- Canadian International Volunteer
- Eligibility Requirements:
- Open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada only
- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor
- Kenya Climate Ventures
- 6 to 12 months (flexible)
- Time Commitment:
- 35 hours per week
Are you passionate about gender equality and social inclusion? Do you have gender skills to share?
As the Gender Advisor with Kenya Climate Ventures, you will support the development and review of the gender strategy and training curriculum for Kenya Climate Ventures and its members to build a vibrant social enterprise network ecosystem.
Apply today to have an impact in gender equality and women economic empowerment!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in reviewing the current gender curriculum and training content for its members
- Provide orientation and share best practices to strengthen the capacity of staff on how to promote and understand gender issues in their operations
- Support Kenya Climate Ventures to integrate gender in all its operations
- Ensure that an environmental sustainability lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities and that partners are supported to scan for opportunities to include climate action in their operations, programing and governance
- Collaborate with the partner to ensure that youth, particularly young women and marginalized youth, are included in any capacity strengthening activities focusing on program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment. Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment.
- Set up a personalized volunteer fundraising page on the WUSC fundraising platform and share it in your networks. Volunteers will be supported with the tools, training and support to achieve the fundraising goal.
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities.
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits.
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree and/or training in Social Science or a related field
- Demonstrable experience in gender and women economic empowerment work
- Ability to conduct facilitation and research work
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering.
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development considered an asset
- Written and oral fluency in English.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. The IGNI+E project, funded by Global Affairs Canada, supports over 70 partner organizations to advance gender equality and the economic empowerment of 1.2 million youth around the world. IGNI+E harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled Canadians through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalised youth, particularly young women. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Kenya Climate Ventures Limited, founded in 2016, is an impact investment venture fund and a member of the Global Impact Investing Network. They seek to accelerate access to climate smart solutions by providing tailored and targeted financial and technical assistance as well as business development support to innovative early and growth stage businesses. Kenya Climate Ventures (KCV) Limited invests in businesses working in agribusiness, commercial forestry, renewable energy, water and waste management sectors. Their focus is working with early stage and growth stage Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in the private sector whose commercial growth and success will have a positive impact on target markets, communities and the environment in Kenya.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Volunteer Mobilization Team prior to departure and from WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Pre-departure training to learn about the volunteering for development program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and network with other volunteers
- Travel, meals and accommodation during in-person pre-departure training
- In-country orientation upon arrival in country of assignment
- Language training in country of assignment, where required
- Modest monthly living and accommodation allowance
- Airfare to and from the assignment country
- Visa/work permit
- Pre-departure medical exam
- Health insurance
- Vaccinations and antimalarial medication
- COVID-19 PCR testing
- Criminal record verification
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Debriefing after completion of assignment
- Support for accompanying spouse and dependents for assignments of 12 months or longer
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International and national volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
International Volunteer Departures Have Resumed
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! After a pause on travel since March 2020, international volunteer departures to Africa, Asia and the Caribbean have resumed.
All individuals considering volunteering internationally with WUSC must demonstrate openness, flexibility and accept to meeting the following conditions:
- Volunteers must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination.
- Volunteers must meet Canadian and Assignment Country Government and airline requirements related to PCR testing.
- Volunteers must agree to follow all COVID-19 mitigation instructions as issued by the Canadian Government, WUSC and by the local authorities in the country of assignment.
See available international opportunities below and click here for our international volunteer FAQ.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!