- Assignment ID:
- Assignment Title:
- Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor
- CAP Youth Empowerment Institute
- 6 to 12 months (flexible)
- Time Commitment:
- 35 hours per week
Are you passionate about gender equality and inclusion for all?
As the Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor with CAP Youth Empowerment Institute (CAPYEI), you will support the development of the organization’s gender and social inclusion policy. You will also support the integration of gender mainstreaming and inclusion in other relevant strategies, tools and program plans.
Apply today to make an impact in equality and social inclusion for youth, women and girls in Kenya !
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist in conducting a gender assessment review and identify any gaps in all areas of the organization’s work
- Support the development and implementation of a gender and inclusion policy, action plan and relevant tools
- Provide a gender lens on the design, implementation and monitoring of the organization’s project activities in order to promote constructive engagement of civic voices in participatory governance
- Collaborate with staff to identify training needs, develop training materials and conduct training around gender equality, women’s economic empowerment and gender inclusion to promote gender and inclusion within the organization.
- Share gender inclusion best practices with the program team in relation to proposal development, program development, implementation and reporting
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment. Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment.
- Set up a personalized volunteer fundraising page on the WUSC fundraising platform and share it in your networks. Volunteers will be supported with the tools, training and support to achieve the fundraising goal.
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities.
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits.
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree and/or training in gender studies, women’s studies, social sciences or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in gender strategy development and inclusion
- Demonstrated experience in gender and inclusion program development
- Knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation considered an asset
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Flexibility, adaptability, resilience, self-awareness, confidence, ability to work well in a team, interpersonal skills, communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. The IGNI+E project, funded by Global Affairs Canada, supports over 70 partner organizations to advance gender equality and the economic empowerment of 1.2 million youth around the world. IGNI+E harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled Canadians through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalised youth, particularly young women. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
CAP Youth Empowerment Institute (CAPYEI) is a non government organization started in 2011 committed to train youth out of school in job entry level skills. This training is operationalized using the Basic Employability Skills Training (BEST) model. CAPYEI is guided by three core objectives:To ensure disadvantaged youth acquire life skills, relevant labor market skills, savings skills, education, and small business development.To facilitate disadvantaged youth access to internships and job opportunities through institutionalized public-private partnership.To ensure youth receive vital pre and post job placement counseling, support, and services including financial as they transition to work.CAPYEI mobilizes and enrolls qualified youth with the support of grass root organizations, government officials, local community based organizations, networks of youth organizations, youth and community leaders, and religious organizations. CAPYEI skills training is guided by and informed by the labor force demand in each area where the training is located.
- Support and guidance from the WUSC Team prior to assignment and from WUSC Country Team while on assignment
- Pre-assignment training to learn about the volunteering for development program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and network with other volunteers
- WUSC country orientation
- Modest monthly living allowance
- Pre-assignment medical exam
- Health insurance
- Criminal record verification
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Debriefing after completion of assignment
- An incredible opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to global development, enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!
WUSC’s Safeguarding Policy
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to sign off on the WUSC Code of Conduct and the Self-Disclosure Form. International and national volunteers will also be required to submit a criminal record verification.
WUSC is a signatory to the Cooperation Canada Leaders’ Pledge on Preventing and Addressing Sexual Misconduct. The pledge represents the shared commitment as Canada’s global development and humanitarian leaders to ensure the full implementation of practices and policies that will protect and respond to our own staff, volunteers and the communities we serve. We are committed to creating safe and respectful workplaces and programs that promote gender equality and are free from gender-based violence, including by addressing and responding to all abuse of power, holding people to account, and protecting the vulnerable. Read the full pledge.
International Volunteer Departures Have Resumed
Your work building capacity towards more resilient and inclusive economies is needed now more than ever! After a pause on travel since March 2020, international volunteer departures to Africa, Asia and the Caribbean have resumed.
All individuals considering volunteering internationally with WUSC must demonstrate openness, flexibility and accept to meeting the following conditions:
- Volunteers must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination.
- Volunteers must meet Canadian and Assignment Country Government and airline requirements related to PCR testing.
- Volunteers must agree to follow all COVID-19 mitigation instructions as issued by the Canadian Government, WUSC and by the local authorities in the country of assignment.
See available international opportunities below and click here for our international volunteer FAQ.
Know someone who would be perfect for this opportunity? Please share!