Duration: 12 months
In Kenya, WUSC programming will focus on strengthening the capacity of partner organizations working primarily in the Nairobi region. These organizations focus on fostering improved economic opportunities for young women and displaced youth. Kenya has a large young, however many government programs designed to boost entrepreneurship and combat high unemployment for young people are not well known or experience negative population perceptions. WUSC volunteers will support organizations such as Organization of African Youth (OAY), Akili Dada, and FIDA to promote inclusive economic opportunities and training for young women, in addition to supporting organizations advocating for urban refugees and displaced people.
The Program and Volunteer Support Advisor will assist in the delivery of volunteer and program management support activities. The volunteer will work in collaboration with program support staff and volunteers across the program to ensure consistency, responsiveness and continued quality in the support provided to volunteers. The volunteer will also support general program planning and management activities in the local WUSC office, including, on a case by case basis: liaising with partner organizations, contributing to work planning and other tasks which support the effective management of volunteer cooperation within the country.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES COULD INCLUDE:
- Work with local staff in providing personal and professional guidance to Canadian volunteers to contribute to the realization of program goals and completion of mandates;
- Support in the design and coordination of in-country orientation for volunteers and organize volunteer management training for local partners;
- In collaboration with country office staff, develop and implement safety and security protocols, communicate emergency procedures to local and international staff, and liaise with development partners on best practices;
- Support in the preparation and processing of immigration documents for Canadian volunteers, including visas, residence, and employment permits;
- In collaboration with the Finance and Administration team, develops and manages project specific budgets;
- Support program monitoring and evaluation by liaising with volunteers to consolidate results, document best practices and encourage learning among volunteers and partners.
- Provide support to program communications team including social media, newsletters, and case studies, as required;
- Develop strategies to continue to improve the volunteer integration process;
- Support handover from incoming and outgoing volunteers to ensure continuity between mandates and to avoid duplication of work;
- Support country office staff in program related activities, when necessary;
- Ensure the representation and engagement of women in all activities and program benefits;
- Volunteers are required to undertake public engagement and fundraising activities before, during, and after their volunteer assignment and will be equipped with tools, training, and one-on-one support to achieve these goals; and
- Write reports as required by the program.
- Degree and/or formal training in human resources, volunteer management, social sciences, or a related discipline
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in volunteer management
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and international volunteering
- Experience with group facilitation and trainings, including content development
- Flexibility, adaptability, excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English
- Experience living and working internationally is a strong asset
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS AND SUPPORT:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country
- Participation in a pre-departure training where you will have the opportunity to learn about the program, gain practical skills for living and working in an intercultural context and meet other volunteers
- Travel, meals and accommodation are covered
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country
- Language training in-country where required
- Return flights, visas and work permits
- Cost of required country specific vaccinations and antimalarials
- Health insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas
- Accommodation while overseas
- Vacation leave entitlement
- Return debriefing in Canada after completion of assignment
- Travel, meals and accommodation are covered
- An incredible opportunity to enhance your professional skills and participate in an experience of a lifetime!