April 4th marks Refugee Rights Day in Canada and WUSC is proud to protect refugees through our Student Refugee Program. The SRP is the only program in the world that combines resettlement with post-secondary education, providing refugee students with the opportunity to achieve their academic goals in a safe learning environment.
April 4, 1985 was a milestone for refugee rights in Canada. On that day, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects the right of refugee claimants in Canada to life, liberty and security of the person, and that claimants are therefore entitled to an oral hearing, in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice and international law. This ruling has become known as the ‘Singh decision’ in recognition of Harnhajan Singh, Sadhu Singh Thandi, Paramjit Singh Mann, Kewal Singh, Charanjit Singh Gill, Indrani and Satnam Singh who brought their cases to the Supreme Court.
Spread the word for Refugee Rights Day with 3 easy actions!
- Showcase our WUSC 'Refugee Rights Day' Facebook banner: Download our special WUSC Refugee Rights Day cover photo and post it on your personal page and your Local Committee's page!
- Inform your Twitter and Facebook network that it's #refugeerightsday: Tweet and post the following messages from your personal or Local Committee Twitter and Facebook accounts. Use #refugeerightsday, #SRP or #SRPchangeslives!
- On #refugeerightsday we are proud to protect refugees through the #SRP http://bit.ly/1E38MhA
- On #refugeerightsday we are proud to protect refugees through resettlement & education #SRP http://bit.ly/1E38MhA
- Everyone has the right to education! Support the #SRP this #refugeerightsday http://bit.ly/1E38MhA
- This #refugeerightsday, support a refugee’s right to education!#SRPchangeslives http://bit.ly/1E38MhA
- Follow us on Twitter @WorldUniService and @WUSCcampus as well as our WUSC Facebook page and Campus Connection Facebook page!
- Consult the Canadian Council for Refugees' (CCR) website for more ideas: Visit their Refugee Rights Day page to find out more activities you can do on Refugee Rights Day.