Today we are witnessing the highest number of refugees around the world since the Second World War. Nearly 60 million people are currently displaced by armed conflict, violence and human rights violations, and every day thousands more are forced to flee.
On June 20th help us raise awareness about the positive impact education can have in the lives of refugees and join us with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in commemorating World Refugee Day.
This World Refugee Day, UNHCR and WUSC are inviting you to get to know the individuals behind the label 'refugee' by reading their remarkable stories of perseverance, community and hope. These stories highlight 'ordinary people living through extraordinary times,' the theme of this year's World Refugee Day.
Actions you can take:
- Read and share these stories with friends, family and colleagues on social media.
- Share your own refugee story: How have you been affected by conflict and forced displacement? How has the Student Refugee Program made an impact on your life?
- Tweet and retweet our messages about World Refugee Day - or create your own! Don't forget to use #WorldRefugeeDay and #SRPchangeslives.
- Since 1978, WUSC's #SRP has enabled nearly 1500 refugees to pursue an education in Canada. #WorldRefugeeDay #SRPchangeslives
- I support the #SRP because... #WorldRefugeeDay #SRPchangeslives http://bit.ly/XzYXJa
- On #WorldRefugeeDay learn how YOU can help young refugees achieve their educational goals #SRPchangeslives http://bit.ly/XzYXJa
- Update your Facebook banner to WUSC's special World Refugee Day banner.
- Attend a Canadian Council for Refugees (CCR) "Walk with Refugees" event. Check out the CCR website for an event near you.
- Make time to speak to a friend, family member, neighbour or co-worker about the Student Refugee Program or another refugee cause close to your heart.
- Volunteer at a local organization helping refugees in your community.
- Donate to our Shine-a-Light campaign for refugee girls' education or make a donation to the Student Refugee Program.
- Find inspiration in the courage and resilience demonstrated by refugees as they make the best of a hard situation and try to build new lives. Motivate yourself to make the world a better place.